Coffee Bean Grinders

G

Hey! My name is Samantha!
I found this coffee site through Google.com, my first time posting here!
This may just be a stupid question but I'd like to know of some good coffee bean grinders for making beans turn into grounds.

On my birthday a good friend of mine gave me some coffee beans and since I have only purchased pre-grounded coffee I have never had a need for a grinder. :p How do you pick out a good one or does it not even matter? Since these are good beans as he told me I want to make sure I use the right tool to grind them.

I quickly jumped around the web site and did not see any posts about coffee bean grinders. The one I had my eye on was a Krups 203-42 Fast Touch coffee grinder. The other people's posts talked about Krups so I'm leaning towards that and then a friend told me she had a Braun coffee bean grinder.

Thanks,
Sammy

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Well, I have never had one, but I can at least tell you that my mom has had her Braun for around 10 years now! She still uses it every other day as far as I know!

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
My family has had an old fashioned hand coffee grinder made out of ore or something, for generations. When I was a kid it was extremely fun to grind the beans and make coffee... haha my earliest memeories are of drinking coffee and watching Johnny Carson on TV, don't ask. i distinctly remmeber some of the bits and Johnny's face too. It wasn't until I was older that I put a name to the show though.

But I look forward to the day I may inherit that old hand grinder. I dunno if it will make better or worse tasting grinds, but its part of a legacy.

G

CoffeeGrinders

There are 2 types of Coffee Grinders. The most avaliable is the Blade type, with a high speed blade that chops the beans up.

The second type is called a Burr grinder, and these can be broken down into cone or plate burrs. These use 2 bits of metal really close together to break the beans apart. Kind of like mill stones. Usually they are called Coffee Mills.

The better of the 2 is the Burr/Mill type grinder. It does not alter the flavour of the coffee beans. The blade type will actualy scorch the beans adding a burnt taste.

I've used both, and can vouch for the flavour altering effects of Blade Grinders.

Your better off buying a Coffee Mill, if u dont want to spoil the flavours.

If you already have a blade grinder, its best to Pulse the on switch instead of holding it down. Holding it down, will cause the flavour changes. A good sign of blade scorching is the smell of the grounds. As u grinder em, you will notice the smell change... You dont want that.

Jack...

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
There are actually 6 types of grinders. 1. Blade grinder, they beat the bean to death. These are better used for spice grinding. Throw in the trash for coffee beans, too much static. 2. Mill wheel burr, the cheap kind. These work ok for coffee but are not meant for espresso. Grind varies too much for good espresso, unless you have a pressurized portafilter.. They spin at high speed and cause a lot of static. 3. Conical burr, inexpensive. These grinder are good for coffee and some espresso, but their tolerances are not the best and grind adjustment is marginal. 4. Conical burr, moderately expensive. Better tolerances, slower grind speed, wider range of grinds, good grinders. 5. Mill wheel, commercial. Heavy duty motors, with large burr heads. Great for espresso, but if you want to grind for drip coffee you have to disassemble the grinder head and clean the threads to go back to espresso. Best machine for grinding just espresso. 6. Commercial conical burr. Very close tolerances, wide range of grind selections, can go from espresso to drip coffee without taking apart to clean. Price ranges from $20 for a blade grinder to $1000 for a commercial grinder. There are a lot of good grinders on the market. But the best price for the same grinder may not be the best price when you need something taken care of when the thing fails to operate. Price and service go hand in hand. If you got a good price for the grinder or machine, but they don’t even know how fix it when something goes wrong. You have a pile of metal decorating your countertop. Anybody can send it back to the manufacture, but then you have to wait 2 months to get it back. Do your research well.

chris94703

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
esspreso grinder for saeco classico

you'll have any specific suggestions for an esspresso only grinder for our $350 saeco classico machine?

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
The Classico doesn't require and expensive grinder to make good espresso, but it needs a grinder that makes a uniform grind. Blade grinders are out. The pressurized portafilter does not require an espresso grind, in fact that is the perfect way to cause a problem. Espresso ground coffee in a pressurized portafilter will usually cause the portafilter to brew over the top and leak down the side of the portafilter. Coffee ground to the consistency of auto drip will work the best. Use a good espresso machine cleaner to clean the portafilter once a month and you will keep that machine running strong for years. Remember NO espresso ground coffee in a pressurized portafilter. If you are using a non pressurized portafilter you will need a grinder of better quality to grind the coffee finer. The tamp will have to be better just like the big boys.

Mizuno

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Just get this:

Solis Maestro Plus
aabreecc_1768_1390226

perry

Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
I also would like a good, simple coffee mill, idealy I would place the basket under the grinder and go stright to the coffee maker, no pouring from one to the other, anything like this out there?.

Thanks...Perry