Coffee Fool?

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
I'm going to be honest here.....I checked out the Coffee Fool site because of the comments about them doing good marketing and seeming quite knowledgable. I also want to make it clear that I have never tried their product.

For me the site was limited in information to the points of only talking about how coffee should be fresh....but not HOW fresh. It did nothing to educate the consumer on some of the other important aspects of ordering coffee, some of which are:

Freshness and how fresh is fresh
Correct packaging and quality of packaging
Correct handling after roasting
Poor vs good roasts
How dark and light roasts age differently
Green Bean Quality
etc..

It was also a little puzzling to see ALL (and I do mean every one) of their single origin coffees roasted to the same level the euphimistally named "American Roast". Any roaster worth their salt would not roast all those different varieties of coffee to that same level of roast, for many of them it would be far to light. e.g. mabye it's just me, but I wouldn't expect to see a Sumatran roasted as light as a Blue Mountain!

Many of the coffees they mention roast in quite different ways, some of the coffees like more heat than others, some need less heat, but sink more heat away from the roaster, so not only depth, but also speed/temperature of roast is a factor. Reading their descriptions and seeing the standardised roast levels would make me think they don't reasearch this much.

Roasting all the coffee to a relatively safe not too dark level, is a bit of a cop out and just allows them to reduce risk in the roasting process and not make mistakes during the roast. If they do make a mistake, it's probably still drinkable.

Now if any of the master roasters want to correct what I have said, then I am always happy to learn, but until then, for me the Coffee Fool, looks like a superb name. 8)