Coffee Shop Business Plans

MagicBelly

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! Serious consideration into purchasing a little seasonal cafe at the beach (New Zealand, local). Been working in hospo for almost 14 years so know the running logistics aspect, but not the behind the scenes paper stuff. Anyway, business is a going concern, has reasonable turnover based on the financial records, and coming into the kiwi summer, looks set to do very well. My question is about my business plan. The examples given seem to be more for upstart rather than going concern. So are there any modifications that need to be made in this instance? Cheers

Crockpot

Dec 29, 2012
Iowa
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the form. I have been reading through all the postings and thank everyone here for all the valuable information. I am considering opening a drive thru espresso stand on the east coast. I'm new to all this, but am serious about this venture. Of course my head is swarming with questions and concerns. I have the Drive Thru Start-Up Guide from E-Imports and have ordered two books from Bellisimo. Any help that anyone might have regarding writing a Business Plan, I would sure appreciate. Thanks again for all the great input ~ this is an awesome forum. :D

I just started using this website to build my business plan. My coffee concept has made-to-order breakfast too, and this site made it so simple to add as much or as little detail as I wanted. It cost me $20 and it's value has been well beyond that in time saved and questions answered. Check it out: just google LivePlan and you'll find it.

Fly

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Coffee Shop Business Plans

that's mean ( a great coffee + nice place + fantastic service )

for great coffee you can visit this (yemen product) just type the name you will found a best coffee for you
:coffee:

PoetGrant

Jun 8, 2013
Terre Haute, IN
Visit site
I agree that one should not finance 100% of a business such as this and maintaining cash flow is priority number 1. However, the statement about 33% average rates on loans is very misleading. No bank will charge 33% apr on a loan. If the risk is that high then they will just not do the loan.

I believe what he was referring to was not the initial interest rate, but rather the compounding effect of interest over 20-30 years.

vapertrail

Oct 15, 2013
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking to open a new business that is a coffee shop combined with another type of shop. I've been toiling over the financials for 2 months now, and coming up with huge numbers for the first year. I am looking for 80-90% financing paying back at $5k/monthly regardless of interest starting immediately and my problem is the extremely high numbers at the end of the year ($1.6m in the black after expenses, taxes and everything else). I'm thinking that I'm managing the expenses to keep from going negative in any one month, but still, that seems extremely high, for a first year, so what am I doing wrong? Should I increase the expenses, even if it means I go negative? The other type of shop will help the numbers, but the number of items, monthly, will not increase revenues by "that" much. Any suggestions, advice, or explanations will be much help. Thanks

casmschoi

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Cafe design/ architect

Good morning! I'm opening a cafe/coffeehouse in the next 18 months. I've found a potential property and need a reference for an architectual firm specializing in coffee house design. I am located in western Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm
mot sure you will find an architectural firm located near you that specializes in coffee shops. I'm guessing you will do better by contacting firms in your area and asking questions and maybe for referrals.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Welcome "casmschoi"

Are you gutting the building and starting from scratch? Getting an architectural firm to do the work may be a bit over the top.

Besides calling firms in your area and asking specific questions, you could also Google the words "coffee shop design" and get some ideas, and then hire a builder to draw up the plans and do the work.

There are also consultants who offer comprehensive cafe startup planning who can help you design and set up your coffee shop. You'd be better off if you find someone who's near you rather than have to pay the person's travel expenses. Scott Rao comes to mind, but I think he's from the Massachusetts area.

Rose

Rose

PBCoffeeGuy

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello. My wife and I are looking to start a coffee trailer that will one day turn into a store front, down the road, as a family business. We are thinking to serve coffee drinks, regualr/decaf espresso, cappuccino, frozen and hot, etc. Any advice on what we would need to make that happen? I read the business plan that ElPugDiablo provided the link to for the cafe/coffee shop. It seemed like it was a larger scale that what we are looking to start with. Any advice on equipment, the trailer itself, and what else we would need to get started, and approximate costs would be much appreciated. We live in South Florida.

Thank you for anything that you can tell us.

Larry

thealternative

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello I have little money saved but a pretty good credit score I am extremely passionate about coffee and really believe that I will succeed in opening and running a coffee house but when it comes down to creating a business plan I get writers block does anyone know where I could possibly find a businessplan fill in the blank please reply thanks

sleach24

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
HI! I'm also new to this forum... My husband and I are looking into purchasing a building to open a coffee shop/ juice bar on the bottom and apartment rental on top (in the next year or so). Is it a good idea to have a survey down in the area in which i'd like to open? Anyone done a survey and could recommend questions to ask? Currently the only coffee avavilble in this area is horrible gas station coffee, so i believe this type of business would do well. The downtown is filled with government buildings, law offices, banks, stores, police station, churches... I figured a survey would be needed in my business proposal for my loan anyway....anything you would like to share please do... I'm starting from the bottom and have plenty time to plan (I think!) Thanks!!!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
.anything you would like to share please do... I'm starting from the bottom and have plenty time to plan (I think!) Thanks!!!

Hello sleach24,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

While you are waiting for a reply to your questions, the best thing that I can share with you right now is our handy Search feature.

If you go up to the top right corner of your screen, you will see a Search box. If you type in a search item, you will find all of the threads where this topic has already been discussed.

Have you already done a Google search for Coffee Shop business plans?
You will find tons of information on the Internet. And there are also plenty of books on Amazon about starting and running a coffee shop.

The best advice I've read here on the Coffee Forums regarding starting and running a coffee shop is to save up lots of cash before jumping into it, because it's going to cost much more than you think.

Rose

sleach24

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
@Rose... Thank you for taking the time to reply! I'll do just what you have suggested, and when is money never an issue?! Ha.. Im
so happy to have stumbled across this forum, I know it's going to be very helpful! Have a good one!!

sleach24