Coffee Shop Drinks Ranked By Percentage of Sales?

rendellweaver

Dec 3, 2018
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am interested in knowing the percentage of sales of different coffee drinks for a typical coffee shop. I understand this may vary per area and coffee shop, but I'm looking to get a rough idea nonetheless. The reason I'm asking is because I am currently developing a business plan for a coffee shop, and am looking into creating a break-even analysis. A multi-product break-even analysis requires each product being given a percentage of sales. For example, Latte (35%), Mocha (20%), etc. I understand that there are a lot of variations of drinks, but if I could just have the top percentages that would be great! Would anyone have this information for me?

Thanks,
Rendell

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What's "typical" to you? As you noted, things like this are going to vary city by city, and shop by shop. What's on your menu? How is your pricing? What is the value relative to pricing? Who is your target? I understand what you are asking for and what you might find through SCA or NCA data will be irrelevant to what you do.

The better your espresso is, the smaller your drinks will be and the less syrup (if any) flavors you will have. So, pick a shop you want to be like (if there is one) go there, hang out with a pad and pencil, and tally what is being ordered. Do this in maybe your three favorite shops in the area or in the country for at least a solid weeks worth of data each. Different times of the day and different days, and long enough to collect some decent data. And you can find data relative to your area AND a shop that is similar to what you want to do OR you can find data relevant to what you want to do rather than what (appears to be) relevant to your area.

Your other option is to construct your menu and then think about where you want to be in five years in terms of your percentage of drink sales, and write your plan based off of that. There will be a natural increase in the percentage of what you are better or more focused on.

You gotta do your own research based on your specifics. And general specifics are good enough for financing and a business plan. Don't get caught up in the weeds.