Creating a nationall respected destination through excellence and value

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Congratulations caffe d'bolla! Great article, for well deserving hard work. Keep it up.
Was the Geisha roasted to City roast (pic looks light roast)? Just curious if you remember the finish temp?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Thank You!

I would say it skirts the line between city and city+ . Also, lighting is adjusted to get the best picture. It may or may not reflect the actual color of said beans. But that is a picture of the actual beans.
We are at elevation, so the actual roast profile would look somewhat different than at sea level. But my finish temp is about 420 F. 12:27 on this particular batch.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hi John.
great job and great article.
if you do not mind, can you tell me which farm/Geisha in Acatenango? unless you buy from importer in USA or it is company secret.
just curious because I know most of Geisha farms in Acatenango.
thanks and congrats again.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
ensoluna,

Thank You!

I do know for certain that it is from a single farm, and is purchased directly. We buy small lots through Tom and his crew at Coffee Shrub and Sweet Maria's. They and the farm have chosen to keep the specifics anonymous. I believe it's because the Gesha accounts for a very small crop on a farm that primarily grows another varietal and as that comprises the bulk of their business, they don't want to be overrun by buyers asking for Gesha that they do not have. They'd rather grow and sell it to a very small number of buyers they trust.

While I usually like to know the specific farm, I absolutely trust the buyer, and my first question is always, "Is it a great coffee?" And the answer is "Yes!".

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hi John,
thanks for the info.
I just checked SM web and found that geisha from Acatenango.
of course, it does not say which farm. and surprisingly, it does not even say "what process" is the coffee. (I am very surprised that Tom forgot to mention?... or intentionally did not put?)

In Acatenango, I have seen 3 types of Geisha. Washed is most common and lowest price. Then Honey or Orange Honey Geisha which is almost 50% more expensive than washed. and then, Natural (the best) which is about double the price of Washed.

However, considering the selling price is about $20 per lb (5 lb purchase) from Sweet Maria, I am assuming it is "washed"?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
My assumption would be that it is washed.

In terms of complexity, this crop rivals any I have had from Panama at $10 to $12 more per lb. I've compared Honey process vs. washed a few times and it's about 50/50 as to whether or not it produces a better cup. There is also a certain level of skill that it takes to process coffee well, and slight changes can result in vastly different cups. I love the additional mouthfeel, but honestly the flavor notes are often nothing special. But when the processing is spot on, it does produce an amazing cup.

As a general rule, in terms of flavor nuance, dynamics, and overall complexity I would prefer washed. As a roaster, I think it's much easier to get good things out of Honey Processed, and certainly Dry-Processed coffee, but then a good portion of the flavor is inherent in the process and not reflective of what that specific coffee has to offer. I would contend that a lot of dry-processed coffees are for roasters who are not as skilled as they want people to believe they are.

Last edited: