Dedicated Milk Steamer ???

MilesT

Jun 25, 2008
Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Visit site
Hi all,
I''m looking for a 1 or 2 wand dedicated milk steamer. We do high volume and often have a bottleneck at steaming milk so we''d like to add just a couple of steamers and not an entire machine. Anyone know where I can find such a thing?

Thanks!
Miles

Grind Tech

Jun 26, 2008
Virginia
Visit site
Agree - I know that the Astoria units work very good, I have not used the other so no opinion. Just remember that the 1 wand is a 110V and the 2 wand is a 220V. All it needs is power and a 1/4" water line - no pumps needed, just uses line pressure. I have a few customers that use these and the 110V unit holds up pretty good, comparable to a one group espresso unit in steam capacity. I also would warn to make sure you have room, they are bigger units than you would expect. About the same footprint as a single group espresso unit - measure to make sure you have room. Hope this helps -

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
If your in to DIY just make one.

I took an old San Marco 110V that had a bad brain and turned it in to a steamer. Replaced the brain with a Bunn Fill board. Removed group and all nonessential tubing. Replaced the Safety valve with a new valve that opens up around 2 - 2.5 bars. Installed a flow restrictor to slow the flow of water in to the boiler and wrapped the entire boiler in ceramic insulation.

Was able to heat 5 gallons of water up to 200F in about 3 steamings. (Each steaming started at 2.1 bars and would be stopped at .8 bars.) You could wrap the boiler in any type of insulation but I chose ceramic because it also reflects infrared heat back towards the boiler.

Not bad for a little 3 liter boiler.