DIY Afterburners

joshua-s

Oct 15, 2007
Temecula, CA
Visit site
Has anyone had success with a DIY afterburner? I found plans but they say we need a 400,000 BTU burner for the afterburner. I talked to another company and they stated that a lot of roasters are using a 100,000 BTU burner and have had great success. We roast on a 10 Kilo Diedrich roaster.

We are having a few issues with the smoke and we need to minimize the smell and smoke to where everyone around us can work without interuption.

Any ideas or plans would be very appreciated.

Thank You.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
joshua-s said:
Has anyone had success with a DIY afterburner? I found plans but they say we need a 400,000 BTU burner for the afterburner. I talked to another company and they stated that a lot of roasters are using a 100,000 BTU burner and have had great success. We roast on a 10 Kilo Diedrich roaster.

Thank You.

Your roaster isn't very big, I am suprised you would need such a large afterburner as 400,000 BTU. Also check the code in your area, for a 10Kg roaster, prehaps a dispersal system or taller stack might be acceptable.

joshua-s

Oct 15, 2007
Temecula, CA
Visit site
Well the city will not allow us to raise our stack high enough to rid some of the odors and smoke. So the parapit of the building contains all of it and it goes straight into everyones ac units.

So we have had multiple calls to air quality control and we know that we will be required to purchase one upon a select number of complaints.

Well thats what they are saying anyway. I have done some research and most companies with complaints are required to purchase something to rid the smoke and odors or fining will start.

So we would rather not buy a blower to accelerate the exiting of the smoke and disperse it better and higher, and still have the possibility of issues.

We are actually considering a 100,000 btu power burner with forced air to give it a little extra push.

We would appreciate any help from someone with ideas or thoughts.

We can have the container fabricated and the power burner purchased for under $2k. So it seems like a good option, at least for our size roaster.