Drink counts decreasing

silverkatzchen

Jun 15, 2006
Visit site
I've been in business for about 3 years, steadily growing. All of the sudden, my numbers are totally tanking. I've checked to see if any baristas are stealilng, but that is not the case, and I haven't had any complaints about poor customer service. My espresso machine broke down once about a month ago and I offered tons of free toddy-brewed drinks to people....is anybody else having trouble this summer? Any ideas to perk up business?

Bafa

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
I assume you are a "mom & pop" type of coffee house. Have you tried promoting you place using events? There is a small coffee shop where I live and very close to where I work that is calle Leopard Forrest Coffee. They have stuff like "Poets in the Forrest" where locally known, or if they are lucky nationally known poets come in and give readings. They also have art showing and stuff like that. Occasionally a local light jazz band will play. I don't know if you location would allow for such events but I thought it was worth mentioning.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Have a few informal cupping sessions, and or a coffee 101/espresso 101 class. Remind people why you are there and that you are the coffee authority in town. If you're not, then do what you need to be it.
Raise your game.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
I assume no competitors have opened up near you?

Ensure your range of drinks also covers cold and cold non-coffee beverages.

Check for anything you may have changed, to cause the gradual drop off.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Hi 'silver'
John and Dave are correct.
If your sales are trending down it is either: your quality has deteriorated, your customer service level deteriorated, a competitor moved into your territory, you have "internal theft", your local economy has suffered a down-turn, your local customer population moved away, or some combination of the above.
Your most likely case is employee theft causing a sudden drop in revenue. Do a critical inventory, evaluate your sales, investigate your cash register transaction data, institute proper secure cash handling procedures, pay for a "mystery shopper" service.

Fresh Roaster

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
Do you have historical data to compare to? Be aware that June is historically a horrible month. As soon as school gets out people take off on vacation. I talked to a few of our clients who weren't concerned even though they're down as much as 60%. They say it's normal.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hi silverkatzchen:

Summer time things do seem to drop off a little with hot coffee drinks and increase in the cold drink areas. But let me ask you, do you keep a coffee count per shift? I.e. do you measure the amount of coffee you use per shift for espresso and/or drip? What we have found is that if the burrs on your grinder need changing (too dull) we find that you go through an average of about 1/2 pound more than when you have good fresh burrs. This sometimes equates to additional dollars not being rang in due to waste. And if you add that up on a daily basis you might find some loss in sales there. Give that a try and see if that works for you.

hONEST, DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE USING BETTER COFFEE, WITH BETTER CUSTOMER oops, service? if you can say " yes" to both ...well. And do you drink your coffee? made by you, and taste each of your employee's drinks? Are you involved in your shop or an absentee owner? Sorry for so many questions, it's that Ive seen too many owners wondering why this or that and they never look at their own business practice.

ElPugDiablo

NW JAVA said:
hONEST, DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE USING BETTER COFFEE, WITH BETTER CUSTOMER oops, service? if you can say " yes" to both ...well. And do you drink your coffee? made by you, and taste each of your employee's drinks? Are you involved in your shop or an absentee owner? Sorry for so many questions, it's that Ive seen too many owners wondering why this or that and they never look at their own business practice.
Not just coffee, but every single item offered.

The 300 pounds grotesquely fat pug has spoken.