French Press question

J

jrm111

Recently purchased a Bodum Chambord 8 cup press. This is my first press and I'm really enjoying the taste. I'm the only one drinking coffee and I normally only make a cup at a time. I'm wondering if I should have just bought one of the smaller presses, possibly even the newer plastic Bodum models.
The glass makes me a bit nervous that I'll crack it, and I can already see after a few uses that the metal cage that holds the glass container is starting to rust.

Any thoughts on difference in quality or taste from a smaller Bodum plastic model vs. the Chambord? Thanks for your time.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
A Bodum french press should not be rusting, especially so soon! Well, I've had both over the years, and my experience is they both have advantages and disadvantages, so you decide. The plastic one will cloud up and scratch, but you can sling it around recklessly and not worry. Bodum sells replacement glass carafes for their glass french presses - just google it, and lots of websites will pop up that sell it. I've broken a couple of carafes - one was when I laid it in the sink sideways and then something else fell on it. Another was just plain clumsiness on my part. I view it as a cost of true enjoyment of good coffee.
Ellen

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "jrm111"

I also have the larger French press, and it seemed too awkward, especially since I only wanted one or two cups of coffee at a time. I eventually bought a small one that looks like a miniature version of the 8-cup press. Besides the fact that it's so cute, it also is really great for making one or two cups of coffee. I prefer the glass, even though there is always a risk of breaking it.

Did you put the metal holder for your French Press in the dishwasher? I'm wondering if that would make it rust or turn a strange color. I've had my French presses for years with no problems. However, I haven't been using them very much lately. I'm considering getting a Moka Pot.

Rose

LeeDenney

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
JRM11,

Have you considered an all-stainless steel French press? Frieling makes a great one, in several sizes and two finishes (polished and brushed). No glass to break. No plastic to leach, warp or cloud. Completely dishwasher safe. Search Amazon for Frieling French Press, or check their website (www-dot-frieling-dot-com) under "Coffee and Tea Essentials."

They are a little pricey, but extremely sturdy and last forever. If you want to use this brew method daily, it would be totally worth it, IMHO.

~Lee

J

jrm111

Hello "jrm111"

I also have the larger French press, and it seemed too awkward, especially since I only wanted one or two cups of coffee at a time. I eventually bought a small one that looks like a miniature version of the 8-cup press. Besides the fact that it's so cute, it also is really great for making one or two cups of coffee. I prefer the glass, even though there is always a risk of breaking it.

Did you put the metal holder for your French Press in the dishwasher? I'm wondering if that would make it rust or turn a strange color. I've had my French presses for years with no problems. However, I haven't been using them very much lately. I'm considering getting a Moka Pot.

Rose

No I didn't use a dishwasher. It was rusting in multiple spots where the glass touched the metal frame. Maybe this was bc I never took it fully apart to wash and dry? Either way, it's returned and I ended up buying a Bodum Brazil, working nicely.

MoffeeCoff

Feb 15, 2012
Australia
Visit site
Hello! I am having the same problem as jrm111 had. Thankfully, I got some great suggestions here. I hope more discussions will further help me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: