Gaggia Classic vs Breville Infuser

Havita

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I am a novice seeking to learn the ropes of good espresso but not willing yet to spend a fortune nor loads of time. (I have a 7 month old) Learning the importance of a good grinder I bought a used doserless Rocky and now I'm ready to decide on a machine. Breville's appeal is its temp control. I don't want to put the money into a PID so am considering learning temperature surfing if I purchase the Gaggia. There is both a barely used Infuser and a Gaggia Classic upgraded with a Silvia steam wand on Craigslist right now, so I need to decide quickly! Advice, please!

Thanks so much!!

itsabean

Nov 23, 2014
South FL
Visit site
Although the Infuser has PID, temp settings available are limited to plus or minus 2 or 4 degrees from the default (200 F). The Gaggia's portafilter is 58mm vs. 54mm on the Infuser. Both have nice, heavy (solid) portafilters. Heating on the Gaggia is via a boiler. vs. a thermocoil on the Infuser. Although not bar calibrated, the Infuser's pressure meter is helpful in knowing what's happening with the shot as it's pulled. Some folks don't like Breville products, but my BES 870XL has been performing well (it's an Infuser plus grinder). I'd say either one of the machines you're considering would get you started OK.