Gavalia Coffee

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
What's better than Gelavia?

Emil said:
I've had greater coffee then Gevalia, which is cheaper as well.
Gevalia is not worthy of the price, but that's just my opinion.

Which coffees, specifically, did you like better?

Thanks.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Gevalia

O.K. Let's be honest. Most people try this coffee to get the freebie, then stop ordering. I've tried this coffee a couple of times before only because I was a guest at someone's dinner and they were proud to serve it in their new decanter set they received with their order. When I was asked what I thought of the coffee, I had to be honest with them. They understood, especially because they know I'm a roaster. Since then they've learned their lesson. They order from me every now and then.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
During dessert (German Chocolate Cake) they had served Gevalia, Colombian. I usually take a sip before tasting desserts so I don't retard the taste of the coffee. Although this was not a cupping. I had noticed a sort of citrus aftertaste when sipping this coffee. I did not know at first that this was Gevalia, and the only way I knew was when my wife had commented on how nice the coffee accessories were. That's when the hostess said that she had gotten them when she purchased this coffee. As we were clearing the table after dessert I had asked the host how long he had this coffee and he mentioned only a couple of weeks. I then asked when they purchased it was it in whole bean form or ground? He said that it was ground. I told him that Colombian should not possess a citrus or sour after taste and asked him if his coffee equipment was clean before brewing his coffee. He assured me it was. I then told him I would send him a sample of our Colombian Supremo and if he liked it then order from me in the future. I did, and he does. He had ordered from me twice so far. My personal feeling on Gevalia's coffees are inconclusive, since this was the only time I have tasted them. For whatever reason, it was not good that evening. I don't like to pass judgement on others without them having the opportunity to correct. I've even been passed up for other coffees at times because someone else's tasted different that mine.

austexb

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I have several half-pounds of Gevalia that I was going to offer up to anyone
that wanted to try it until I checked the date. I've had them over two years. Oops.

I remember liking them, but I did not brew my coffee as strong then as I do now. They just sent it faster than I drank it. I like their Costa Rican peaberry.

Offer still stands if anyone's brave enough. You're paying the postage though!

One more thing... How do I get French press brewed coffee stronger? More coffee, finer grind, or >5 min. steep time? I'm grinding at the coarsest setting right now (as recommended).

hvk2001

Nov 21, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Gevalia Peruvian Organic

I have just tried Gevalia Peruvian Organic and I found it to be smooth---almost too smooth ----but lacking in both aroma and structure. It is very easy and pleasant and does not have the aftertatste mentioned by others on this forum. However it is really too benign and weak for my taste.

M :-D

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Gevalia has great marketting throughout the united states from telivision to magazine advertisement to word of mouth and mailers. It is marketted as a 'special' drink for special times, the whole concept of the advertisement gets those who are not aware of the differences in coffee to try it. I have often seen those who want to do something 'special' for their family get this as a treat. :)

hvk2001

Nov 21, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Gevalia is heaven compared to Millstone breakfast blend

Gevalia's marketing machine may be overhyping its merit and overpricing its product, but compared to the Millstone breakfast blend I bought the other day, it is really day and night! I bought the Millstone acting on reviews I read about it on the web but gosh that must be one of the most tasteless coffee I have ever cupped. I wonder if Proctor and Gamble has forced the roaster to use robusta beans to trim cost....a disaster!

M :evil:

Chilo

Jan 12, 2004
Visit site
Re: Gevalia

tintinet said:
In Consumer Reports review of coffees, the Gevalia came in second to
Gloria Jean's Columbian beans:

Gevalia Kaffe Select Varietal Colombia 5.95 + 8.0 17 Strong floral-fruity and very low earthy notes.

Personnally, I've never had Gevalia or Gloria Jean's.

Do you know what issue of Consumer Reports that was in?

Chilo

Jan 12, 2004
Visit site
Re: Consumer Reports, FWIW

tintinet said:
Jan. 2000

Thank you! Just read the article. The article was helpful but, I am not sure that the opinion of 2 consultants carries the day. What do all of you think?

curtr

Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
I purchased two pkgs of Kenya decaf from Gevalia which were absolutely putrid. The beans were extremely dry and the ground product was dusty. It is difficult to measure a product based upon one purchase, but that has been my only experience. I see no reason to try again.