Gavalia Coffee

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Gevalia-Why?

Yeah, I see no reason to mess with Gevalia, except, perhaps, to score some cheap mugs, drip brewer, etc.

With such a range of excellect coffees now available, if not locally, by internet order, why bother with such a low-rent deal?

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
Yummm

I was drinking gevalia when I was working for OSCE in Kosovo... I have just good memories for it. When they stopped to buy Gevalia for us and changed it with a light roasted Brazilia Minas we were bagging for some in front of the Swedish KFOR or we were spending all our savings in Swedish PX to buy Gevalia...since then i tried the fresh roasted coffee and Gevalia is not my favorite anymore....but i have a nice memories fo my sweedish friend. 8)

Kellee

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I like Gevalia coffee, but I agree that it can be expensive. If you're looking for a high quality, organic alternative, check out Camano Island coffee. You can sign up for their Coffee Lover's Club to receive three pounds of coffee per month, including one pound of their Coffee of the Month. I am very picky about my coffee and Camano Island coffee is the only coffee in this price range that has a smooth, consistent flavor without the bitter aftertaste. You can purchase the coffee at http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Never had Jamaican, Kona, etc. simply because I won't pay those prices. But I am strongly of the belief equal coffees can be had much cheaper. Those coffees are more hype than anything and are really sought after because of supply/demand, not just because of the taste. Later!

C

coffeeloverlisa

A good opinion on the espresso but I will take you on for this one, shadow. I deal in the 100% pure Kona and JBM beans and I can tell you they are really special, especially fresh. True they cost a ton, but once in a while, a good steak, a fine wine, a good Cuban cigar, a good single malt, they are all worth it.

The issues are, are they genuine, are they old and stale and is the coffee made right? If not, you may as well be drinking Sanka. This applies to any bean and we here understand.

I definitely see your point as we have access to so many great coffees. But give Kona, JBM,Panama Carmen Estate and Komodo Blue Dragon a try sometime. Notice I left Kopi Luwak off the list. That one is great but the jury really is out on if it is BS or not - and it is my best seller.

Cheers!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Funny that when I opened my e-mail to see a reply to this thread I somehow knew it'd be you. I do see your point(s) about the more sought after coffees. BUT of all the coffees I've had the pleasure of tasting, cupping, etc. the best I've found overall is Ethiopia Sidamo. The deep rich flavor, floral notes, winey/fruity aftertaste is just hard to beat for ME... best of all it cost me around $7 per lb. for this little slice of heaven. Of course we all have our preferences, but unless the coffees you list are in my price range I won't be sampling any of them. I do appreciate your insight into these delights though. Later!

C

coffeeloverlisa

You inspired me write a blog in your honor!

http://www.rocketfuelcoffee.com/blog/

I even quoted you, without your name. And it will be appearing next Monday as a guest blog on Dailyshotofcoffee.com. So we will both be famous!

Have a great day, friend.

Lisa

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Nicely done, Lisa!

I'm glad you wrote it in Shadow's honor. I also enjoy reading his posts and learning from him, as well as some of the other members of this forum.

I once enjoyed Jamacian Blue Mountain Coffee (on special occasions) but the price was a bit steep for me. I came to this forum and asked questions to see if someone could suggest something similar that would be less expensive. Several people offered suggestions, and that's how I discovered Papua New Guinea... which is what I've been buying from a local roaster ever since.

However, my son sent me a pound of (certified) Jamacian Blue Mountain Beans for my birthday, and for a brief moment I though that he shouldn't have spent so much money on me. But...I quickly came to my senses, and I savored every cup that I got out of it!

Rose

C

coffeeloverlisa

Good morning Pink and Shadow, and everyone,

Certified JBM beans, as well as certified Hawaiian Kona beans are worth the wallet dip every once in a while. I find green beans from various suppliers, have them shipped to Toronto and rely on an expert roaster to do it for me. They roast and bag them. My expertise is more on the selecting, then packaging and selling. The roaster helps me and advises me as he has years of experience on me.

Participating in forums and befriending coffee experts has put me on a fast track of learning like coffee university. So thank you all so much!

Cheers!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Do you have an interest in roasting? For now I rely solely on a local roaster. He can answer anything I ask and uses my input toi tweak here and there. Having a good working relationship such as this is of utmost importance in what we do. You can have the best of everything, but without fresh/properly roasted beans it's pretty much a waste. I'd like to dabble in home roasting in the near future, but for now I leave this very important variable to those that do it right. Later!