Get ready to pay...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
So I am sure all you roasters have seen the price on Kenya...HOLY COW!!! It jumped to double the usual price and from what I hear it will not be coming down for a while...also anyone else selling RFA Panamanian? RFA Panama is close to the same price as the Kenya's right now :eek:

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
I have been thinking about what to use instead of the Kenya AA when I have to re-order. I thought maybe a Rwanda would be similar, but no. Has anyone come up with a good substitute for Kenya?
Ellen

C

coffeeloverlisa

I see Sweet Maria's is out of AA and has only Kenya Kiambu Peaberry - Riuki, green at $26.10 for 5 pounds.

Roastmasters sells AA for $5.18 at the 20 pound +, but a nice alternative might be Kenya Peaberry Tassia Estate at $4.98 at the 20 pound +

But I am not sure what you guys think is outrageous since I sell $50 a pound coffee?

Cheers,

Lisa

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
try Zambian or Zimbabwe....I am going to be cupping these tomorrow and the next day.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Well I'm not a roaster, but based on the Kenya I cupped not too long ago I wouldn't bother with it at all even if it was free. It was way too bright and acidic, barely drinkable to me. Later!

ElPugDiablo

Jul 16, 2004
Hartford and New Haven, CT
JustgGot some Kenyan at a ridiculous high price. Holy cow is right. What are you guys liking so far this year? I got some natural processed El Salvadoran, Santa Rita, from Royal New York that I really like at light roast. Got some DP Sumatran from Cafes Import that is superbly prep. Other than that I have not found a lot to be excited about.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
I'm a little excited about the price of green...
when I first started roasting, the average price of green coffee was around $1.20-$1.50.

I did get some very nice coffee last month from Zephyr. some Panama Santa Teresa Estate $2.50, some Brazil Moreninha Formosa, $2.15. month before some Sumatra, Mexico Huatusco, Papua New Guinea. $2.10-$2.50.

Georgia_Steve

Apr 28, 2008
Loganville, GA
We got some Zimbabwe AA from Theta Ridge, I think it was in the $3 range and so far not too bad.
Still trying to find the right roast level to get it close to the last Kenya AA we had.

-Steve

C

coffeeloverlisa

OK, thanks debbiej for the price perspective. Now I understand.

C

coffeeloverlisa

Cannot resist... it is not the length, it's the what you do with it. :)