Going from baker to vendor? Possible?

bakergirl

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
I have a passion for baking and want to become a vendor for coffee shops and espresso stands. The problem is I don't know where to start. Do I take a basket of baked goods to local espresso stands for them to sample (bringing along business cards too of course)? I'm sure I'd have to apply for a business license and research health codes. I guess my question is: Is this dream feasible? Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your best bet would be to do just that: Let shops sample what you have. Most of the major shops (Starbucks, etc.) probably already get their products from a contract sales rep. However, you can still visit the smaller coffee shops, and re-visit several times as your sales skills will be tested. As far as licensing, many of the small shops won't ask about it, but it would still earn you some credibility if your present your state business license while courting these shops. Many state health departments will be happy to provide you with pamphlets and such concerning codes and such. Good luck.
Joe

NordstromCoffee

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
It might be helpful if you explained your situation more. Do you currently own a bakery? What could be your max output? What items would you be looking to sell?