Grinding after Roasting

TTTTom

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I would like to open a discussion of opinions about how soon after the roast that one should allow the coffee beans to fully evolve / mature, etc before grinding.

Thanks for your time.

BRB - going for my second Tankard - Organic Guatemala - today.

Regards to all,

T in Carolina

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
our crack team of roasters have put our collective thoughts together and feel in our proffessional opinion....that it doesn't matter how soon after you roast...if anything it will de-gas quicker...you should actually wait till before you brew to grind it. Coffee goes stale quicker in the ground state. Anyone else? :wink:

TTTTom

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Topher,

Thanks for the post - glad to see that you are still around - I don't get here much - too much going on... when does it slow down?

How about this one: How long before the oils in the bean are fully "popped"?

Have a great day,

T in Carolina

True Sipping

Jun 1, 2004
Visit site
How Long. . .

Sure do agree with Topher. . . grind just before brewing. However, IF you are really in a hurry, I tell my customers that the fresh roasted beans will take about 4-6 hours to 'stabilize' and 'harden up'. Plus at that point the aroma is just beginning to ramp up.

Alrighty, well; If you roast and then grind for espresso you'll notice alot more frothyness, and kinda of a " different" pour. I wouldn't say it tastes so bad but not as smooth as if I give it a few days to " settle" If grinding for drip; who cares, the prior posts cover that.....

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
La Crema...the question was how long do you have to wait to grind...I said you should wait to grind just before brewing. Yes you should wait to grind your espresso just before you brew also...but I feel you should let it de gas for at least 3 days before you grind then brew. Try this people...grind some coffee...smell it...let it sit out for about 20 mins...smell it again...it will smell flat or like cardboard...once ground if you do not store it properly it will be ruined :wink: