Has anyone use any books?

PerkyGirl

Apr 14, 2004
Rowlett, Texas
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have been posting out in other topics but since this one is on the industry I thought I would ask a question here.
Has anyone bought and used the book from espresso101, the Bean Basics and I am also thinking about the book for drive thru's, they are pretty pricey and before I go and purchase them I wanted to see if anyone has used or seen these and thought they might be benefical?

Thanks for your input!
PerkyGirl

No cute coffee quote "Yet"

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Perky Girl:

The espresso 101 video is a good one, but truthfully way too much information for the average barista. To save you some money I'll tell you briefly what is consists of. #1--The story of coffee, how it's farmed, #2--The process coffee goes through as it's picked and milled, #3--What green beans look like before they are roasted, #4--The story of the "Dancing Goats", #5--The espresso machine and it's functions, #6--How to make an espresso and other coffee based drinks, #7--The names of drinks, and #8--A review of the entire video tape. There you have it. As for the others you mentioned, I've never seen them. Yes, you are quite right they are pretty spendy, but how else are they going to make their money?

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
Bellissimo

Hi Perky Girl,

I highly recommend "Opening a Drive Thru Espresso"

However, please see my posting about needing help from others who have opened drive thrus.

If you can't get a landlord or leasing agent to lease you ALLOT of space, you shouldn't even get started. Wish I'd known that 9 months ago.

My county requires 90 feet of car stacking space. That equates to 2500 to 5000 square feet of parking lot space. Nobody will talk to me.

What does your county require? Check there FIRST.

Bellissimo Coffee Info Group, the people that wrote the book, won't even talk to me or help me. Be warned.

It's a great business if you can tackle this issue before you spend alot of time on planning your concept and structure.

If you need a good espresso stand manufacturer, let me know, I found one, now I just need a place to put the darn thing!

I may end up having to sell it.

signed,

fighting for drive thru
in Sacramento, CA

Polo

Jun 8, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
I purchased both Bean Bus. Basic and Opening A Drive-thru. The Bean Bus. Basics is a good overall introduction for someone who knows little or nothing about the coffee business. It helped us get started and provided some general direction. Ultimately I had a lot to learn that wasn't covered thoroughly or at all in the book. In my humble opinion it is a good resource but there is much more to the business than what is included. I would not buy the drive-thru book if I were you. It has a lot of repeated info that can be obtained in the BBB book.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
Books and Videos

I have managed 3 operations and have used Espresso 101 and Bean Business Basics religiously. I recommend having a library of books and videos at your and your employees disposal.

Espresso 101 can save you countless hours when training your employees (labor costs can add up) and it covers the following:

* A Brief History of Coffee
* Coffee Bean Roasting and Blending
* Espresso Equipment
* Extracting Perfect Espresso
* The Art of Steaming and Foaming Milk
* How to Prepare Espresso Bar Drinks
* Fundamentals of Brewed Coffee Preparation
* Cleaning, Safety and Maintenance

The price of the books and videos are competive to other books and videos in the industry and encompass lots of information. If you can educate yourself early on and are able to save yourself from making costly mistakes during start-up the cost of educational products and/or consultation should be well worth it!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
How much is espresso 101 running now? I watched it years ago...personally I would do the research myself if I was you....but that is me :wink:

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
It's great to watch every once in awhile, but there's nothing like good old fashioned OJT :wink: Make mistakes, then correct them. That's the only way you are going to get over being nervous. These tapes are around $60-$90 range or something like that :shock:

tlhamzy

May 30, 2004
Visit site
Bellissimo Coffee Info Group

I just wanted to update my posting above, as I wasn't able to modify or delete it.

Bellissimo Coffee Info Group finally did get back to me after I screamed and hollared. We kind of had it out over email.

They weren't getting back to me in my hour of need as they were at a conference. Anyways, I like their products, but after our tiff, will never use them as consultants.

They recently jammed me up about this posting, which was true at the time, but to set the record straight, they did get back to me, though had no answers for me about my difficulties opening a drive thru. I asked them if they ever helped open one in California, and they said they were gonna get back to me on that, but no helpful info came thru.

Also, I want to warn everyone about concessiontrailersUSA.com. Sam Phillips scammed me for $8050. His court hearing is next week.

Beware of nice southern guys bearing gifts. I call him the polite con man. He was so nice while he was taking my money and telling me lies.

I gave up on the drive thru months back, and will be opening my coffee bar in March.

Good luck to ya.....

FreeHelp

Mar 2, 2005
Visit site
Bellissimo No Reply!

You are not alone, I sent them the following email about ordering their books / tapes last month and have yet to get a reply.

:-D

===============email contents================

Dear Sirs,
I am interested in buying the 3 pack but due to my specific interests, I have no need for Espresso 501 & Everything but coffee. (At least not for now). Also can you pls let me know if the price incl shipping & handling & if now how much is it to Singapore. (We have Fedex & DHL). The 3 pack incls:
1. Achieving Success in Specialty Coffee
2. Espresso 501
3. Everything BUT Coffee
4. Free Bonus Section: Customer Service for the Retail Coffee Bar (Pls confirm that this is included FREE! I MUST have it!!!)

I don't want books 2 & 3 valued at $69.55+79.95=$149.50 Can I replace it with
a. Effective and Essential Marketing for the Specialty Coffee Retailer (+$49.95) &
b. Spilling the Beans ( $39.95) &
c. Advanced Barista Training ? Extreme Pours Sale Price: ( $59.95) = $149.85 ?

Could you pls incl in my order all your pricing for you ABCs course and any other training your esteemed co provides. Further, would you also consider sending a trainer here to Singapore, Asia if I can round up a group of say 30 (or whatever number of students to make economic sense) to attend your courses (Barista, How to set up a Specialty Coffee Business etc). ........

FreeHelp

Mar 2, 2005
Visit site
Followup

Just as a follow up on the orders...

I submitted an order on the 2nd week of Apr after Matt agreed to swap some of the items on the 3-pack... I was pleased to know he stepped on it after he knew I did it as a volunteer for a non-profit.

However, although the order was shipped on 14/4/05, it failed to arrive until 24/5/05... but I got everything I bargained for and the DVDs were really snazzy!

Haven't got time to read the books though.. will update later...

jrod

May 5, 2015
Visit site
This is obviously a Bellissimo employee. It's sad, really. That company is being investigated by the IRS and it's materials are out of date. Please save your money and go elsewhere.

I have managed 3 operations and have used Espresso 101 and Bean Business Basics religiously. I recommend having a library of books and videos at your and your employees disposal.

Espresso 101 can save you countless hours when training your employees (labor costs can add up) and it covers the following:

* Espresso Equipment

The price of the books and videos are competive to other books and videos in the industry and encompass lots of information. If you can educate yourself early on and are able to save yourself from making costly mistakes during start-up the cost of educational products and/or consultation should be well worth it!

jrod

May 5, 2015
Visit site
They have yet to refund me my tuition when I found out one entire day was dedicated to making paninis and was given rancid milk because the VP didn't even check the date on the package!! Quality!!!

* Espresso Equipment

You are not alone, I sent them the following email about ordering their books / tapes last month and have yet to get a reply.

:-D

===============email contents================

Dear Sirs,
I am interested in buying the 3 pack but due to my specific interests, I have no need for Espresso 501 & Everything but coffee. (At least not for now). Also can you pls let me know if the price incl shipping & handling & if now how much is it to Singapore. (We have Fedex & DHL). The 3 pack incls:
1. Achieving Success in Specialty Coffee
2. Espresso 501
3. Everything BUT Coffee
4. Free Bonus Section: Customer Service for the Retail Coffee Bar (Pls confirm that this is included FREE! I MUST have it!!!)

I don't want books 2 & 3 valued at $69.55+79.95=$149.50 Can I replace it with
a. Effective and Essential Marketing for the Specialty Coffee Retailer (+$49.95) &
b. Spilling the Beans ( $39.95) &
c. Advanced Barista Training ? Extreme Pours Sale Price: ( $59.95) = $149.85 ?

Could you pls incl in my order all your pricing for you ABCs course and any other training your esteemed co provides. Further, would you also consider sending a trainer here to Singapore, Asia if I can round up a group of say 30 (or whatever number of students to make economic sense) to attend your courses (Barista, How to set up a Specialty Coffee Business etc). ........