Help Please: Diedrich 2.5 drum noise

nightskycoffee

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
I just purchased a Diedrich IR 2.5. I set up and after doing a run through for testing I noticed some drum noise when the drum is rotating. The noise almost sounds like drum rub, but I have adjusted the drum twice now and get the same noise. Also there is a clicking/clanging noise and I only hear it when the roaster is on spinning not when manually spinning the drum.

I was going to post a link to the sound, but I don't have 5 post yet? Does anyone else with an IR2.5 have a sound clip of just the drum rotating?

nightskycoffee

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
I figured it out! Let me know if this is normal. I have contacted Diedrich also.
[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXeqpxmfyXBE8BeR8[/video]

nightskycoffee

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I did grease the bearings. I just went to another roaster near me and he has the same kind of noise from his IR-2.5 so it must be typical. The light clanking seems to always be present, but the grinding noise tends to go away when heated up.

I would still like a confirmation from another IR-2.5 that this sound is somewhat typical.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Just a heads up. You can not adjust your drum when it is cool. You have to heat it up or you will drive yourself mad because the metal will expand. If you get it hot adjust it and there isn't any rubbing you should be good. If not I would definitely call Diedrich directly.

nightskycoffee

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
I see how doing an adjustment with a hot drum would be ideal for the gap between the front and back plate. However doing this cold and making sure that the gap between the front and back plate are the same should also be fine. This assumes that the metal will expand somewhat the same throughout the drum.

I have been able to confirm that the drum is not rubbing the front and back plate when cold or hot. I am starting to think the noise is just part of a moving system that I am not familiar with. These noises might not be any issues with the machine.

nightskycoffee

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
If that sound continues I would call Diedrich. It could be a bearing going.

I have contacted Diedrich and they don't think it's a bearing, but also have no clues as to what might be causing the noise. The roaster is new, I have only done two roast on it. I am waiting for Diedrich to give me some more things to check.

Nugget

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I have contacted Diedrich and they don't think it's a bearing, but also have no clues as to what might be causing the noise. The roaster is new, I have only done two roast on it. I am waiting for Diedrich to give me some more things to check.
I have an Ir12 and I've had a couple clicks before.
one time it was the bearing going.
one time a link in the chain was catching the sprocket at an angle--I didn't have it lined up perfectly after I changed the rear bearing

The rubbing sound could also be a vibration of the sheet metal back panel or the cooling tray grate. Is your impeller clean?

Try running (blower and drum) with doors open and any removable panel off.