Help Please: Papua New Guinea Coffee - how to roast, where to buy, etc.

edward1982

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I had a chance to bought the PNG green bean in malaysia, it didn't state what brands, I roasted it and brewed it. I like it so much with because the flowery aroma and its taste quite sweet for me with the ratio of 1:13 with v60 dripping method.

NielG

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
You can search on the inernet, I bet there's a lot of coffee shops. Search for coffee reviews, you may find the one you will love! I also want to order one!

Last edited by a moderator:

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
All right, I got convinced to take down a bag of PNG Kigabah as I had never had nor roasted PNG.
Before I proceed to butcher the coffee, can anyone give me a hint as to a roast profile. I will not be selling the coffee but drinking it. If I butcher it badly, the folks at the food bank will be getting it...haha

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
All right, I did a sub 11 minute roast with a 18% TDR and an end temperature of 415F on a Probatino. We will see how it cups tomorrow

I was hoping that someone would be able to answer your questions today. Weekend activity on the Coffee Forum is usually very slow, especially this time of the year.

I hope your roasting experiment works out well for you.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
All right, I did a sub 11 minute roast with a 18% TDR and an end temperature of 415F on a Probatino. We will see how it cups tomorrow

You should be good... I stretch my roasts out a bit more... but any PNG or Sumatra I drop around that temp. I like them a touch darker (but still a 'medium' roast) than my normal single origin coffees. My roaster hits FC at 385 / 2nd at 432 for comparison.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Thanks Musicphan

The coffee cupped nicely...earthy, caramel, black tea. Don't know why but I had in my head that a PNG would have more citrus.
I was going to go lighter over the same period to see if I can get sweeter and snappier.

My machine seems to have 1st C at the 384/385 area same as you but my 2nd C seems to start in the 441/442 area.....a full 10 degrees difference. Can't explain it.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Temps are just differences in probes and placement... I'm sure if you drop lighter 10-15 degrees (just stretch that out after 1st crack... drop your heat) you will get sweeter with brighter acidity. Its finding that sweet spot is the key.