Hi, Questions on POWDERED VS FULL CREAM

michaelwalia

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I work at a cafe, been making coffee for a few months. just have some questions if you dont mind answering

Im wondering about whether or not powdred milk is considered as ok to use instead of regular milk.
i worked at a cafe where we used full cream ( non UHT) milk for steaming to put in our coffee
i now work at place where we are using powdered, to me it doesnt seem rite, but thats why i want some kinda discussion

thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Is there a reason why the cafe uses powdered milk? Do you mix jugs of it and store it in the refrigerator? Once it's mixed, it needs to be refrigerated, and it spoils just like regular milk does.

Powdered milk is used all over the world for all sorts of things. I've never used powdered milk in a cafe. But, I imagine that it would be quite handy to have as a backup when we're running out of regular milk and have to wait for the delivery.

It's a pain to make the powdered milk, and you have to pay attention to the water/powder ratio to keep it consistent. And, there are sanitation issues to consider regarding proper handling.

If you're going to take the time and effort to make good espresso, why use powdered steamed milk? Have you tasted the end result? Do any of your customer notice the difference?

Rose

michaelwalia

May 7, 2014
Visit site
well the people who run it were told to by a 'pro' barrista, thats the only reason, to me the taste is definitely noticable
i agree, why bother to use powdered milk as it is a pain in the butt to make and if your spending money on the machine and to make a proper espresso shot whats the deal... but yea
thanks for the reply by the way!

[ QUOTE=PinkRose;68943]Is there a reason why the cafe uses powdered milk? Do you mix jugs of it and store it in the refrigerator? Once it's mixed, it needs to be refrigerated, and it spoils just like regular milk does.

Powdered milk is used all over the world for all sorts of things. I've never used powdered milk in a cafe. But, I imagine that it would be quite handy to have as a backup when we're running out of regular milk and have to wait for the delivery.

It's a pain to make the powdered milk, and you have to pay attention to the water/powder ratio to keep it consistent. And, there are sanitation issues to consider regarding proper handling.

If you're going to take the time and effort to make good espresso, why use powdered steamed milk? Have you tasted the end result? Do any of your customer notice the difference?

Rose[/QUOTE]

michaelwalia

May 7, 2014
Visit site
also i dont know if our customers notice the difference yet as we literally opened 3 days ago, we have recieved 1 online review about the coffee stating ' it needs to be improved' but that is all...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Do you use powdered milk for everything? When people want to add milk to their coffee, is it made from powdered milk?

Is there half and half available for those who prefer it to milk?