how to preserve that coffee smell in the cup

• Thread starter Deleted member 34539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34539

Dear Coffee Forum friends;

I have a conundrum that has popped up in the last few months regarding my coffee. I used to use a cheap 20$ Mr. Coffee drip brewer that gave me basic but still very aromatic coffee on a daily basis. My husband bought a larger coffee maker with a timer to have coffee ready to go in the morning and I noticed the coffee completely lost it's lovely aroma in the cup - it smelled great while brewing and the grounds themselves still smelled wonderful. The strange part is I went back to my old Mr. Coffee and the issue continued - no lovely smell in the cup! I have bought a french press and it sometimes makes mildly aromatic coffee but nothing like I had before. I haven't changed anything else, I used filtered water, same brand of coffee, grind it at home in batches (intelligentsia, locally roasted in philly! totally divine smell). I almost think my sense of smell changed but the coffee in the bag still smells great to me! I would love to hear anyone's tips for how to preserve the aroma of coffee during the brewing process!

thanks!
Karen.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Dear Coffee Forum friends;

I have a conundrum that has popped up in the last few months regarding my coffee. I used to use a cheap 20$ Mr. Coffee drip brewer that gave me basic but still very aromatic coffee on a daily basis. My husband bought a larger coffee maker with a timer to have coffee ready to go in the morning and I noticed the coffee completely lost it's lovely aroma in the cup - it smelled great while brewing and the grounds themselves still smelled wonderful. The strange part is I went back to my old Mr. Coffee and the issue continued - no lovely smell in the cup! I have bought a french press and it sometimes makes mildly aromatic coffee but nothing like I had before. I haven't changed anything else, I used filtered water, same brand of coffee, grind it at home in batches (intelligentsia, locally roasted in philly! totally divine smell). I almost think my sense of smell changed but the coffee in the bag still smells great to me! I would love to hear anyone's tips for how to preserve the aroma of coffee during the brewing process!

thanks!
Karen.

Maybe your Mr. Coffee is not working as good as it was before and is not getting the water as hot which could be under extracting and making a weaker cup which would have less aroma. Have you tried cleaning it with vinegar or a dedicated coffee brewer cleaner?

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Good point Alex on the roasted on date which got me thinking, about six months ago I ordered some beans from a roast to order place that was really good (per my notes I keep) so I ordered some more a couple weeks ago but it wasn't as good as I remember (didn't live up to my notes), it was still good but not sure I would order again. Since none of my other variables changed it had to be the coffee or all in my head I guess.

Could it be the green bean stock they are using is getting old and past it's prime?

dbadalam

May 28, 2023
Chicago
Visit site
I realize this post is over 5yrs old, but OP touched on something I was also wondering about. My intelligentsia house blend smells far better than it tastes. I'm brewing with Breville automatic precision brewer, so I have a hard time believing it is the brewing process. At leas as long as I'm following recommended ratio and grind. I wonder if there was a way to improve the taste. I think I just don't care for light/tea like coffee as much.