Is there a "least bad" grind and brew coffeemaker?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Yes, I know the compromises of a grind and brew coffeemaker. No, it would not suit me, either! But, after lots of thought, it is best ACCEPTABLE compromise for someone on my Christmas gift list.

Because she once used and was satisfied with a Cuisnart grind and brew, the one with the bean chopper blade, when I saw Cuisnart was selling one with a burr grinder, I thought that might be a step up. I am sure the burr is too small and is a major compromise in itself, but better than the chopper. Another thing I did not like about the Cuisnart is that it appears that you put in a bulk quantity of beans, i.e. you are storing beans in the hopper, and it decides how much to grind based on the "strength" you select. I would much prefer to put in the amount of beans I wanted and have it grind them all. Also, do not want to be storing beans in the hopper.

Any thoughts on what might be the "least bad" of the available grind and brew coffeemakers?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Since your friend was satisfied with her old Cuisinart Grind and Brew, I bet she'd be very happy to receive something that's similar.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB...6366&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+grind+and+brew

As you've noticed, the newer models have the burr grinder, but they also have the bean hopper, which really isn't a good idea for many reasons.

If your friend hasn't specifically mentioned that she's looking for a "step up," she'd probably really appreciate receiving something that she's already familiar with, especially if it's something that she's liked in the past.

Rose

Last edited:

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
The question is now moot!

Glory, glory, the intended giftee (Is that a word?) has come around, on her own, and decided that a separate stand-alone grinder makes more sense than a grind and brew coffeemaker. So, Santa is going to bring her a Baratza Virtuoso. That suits MY sensibilities much better.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Unless you have money to burn, or need whatever the infinitesimal benefits of the Virtuoso, the Encore will do everything the average coffee drinker will need.

I do not doubt you. Several years ago, when Baratza upgraded the Virtuoso drive grears and burr set, I figured the difference between the Encore and Virtuoso was worth it. I may have been a victim of a bit of marketing over-hype. In any case, I ordered her what I have been very happy with and she has seen me use. She will be tickled with it and, in the long run, the price difference will be inconsequential. I am just glad she decided to go with a stand-alone grinder and not the grind and brew route again!

Last edited: