New Shop Roaster -Ambex vs Toper vs Diedrich + New vs Used

sainak

Apr 13, 2008
Thailand
Visit site
You surprise me! I believed it was removed already from web.
The machine has been changed that's why. It still drum roaster but is different from that picture.
Many improvements has been done so far and the new is not promoted yet.
I must kick some a... for that. Just kidding.
Yes that is name of the business whos keeping me in the land of smile in the last 3 year, (I'm also married with thai woman) drawing, programming, assembling, take care supplier and workers and most important I and other 3 fellows squezee our brains in order to find real solutions.
What solutions...well first of all, low consuption, Thailand is not well supply in terms of energy, electrichal power and so on.. or better say not every were.
Roasting quality: those willing to start business are not intrest about thai market only, they want export their beans and they need some kind of good stuff.
Thai market need good equipments, optional, service, training, most important low price.
EU or USA are capable to spend large amount of money for machinery, here is a war and we cannot reduce price from material but what we need is a good idea to apply on our equipment.
Hopfully we are at the end of the first project (3 years!!!) but we still keep something to test.... practically I never seat and relax.
bye

sainak

Apr 13, 2008
Thailand
Visit site
Hi Tlowing,
finally I understand why you had found this link with one of our first machine.
This is a B2B site and promote (mostly) asian business, was just a curiosity to insert this promotion. Then we discover our mail box in the target of many spammer and promotional messages which as nothing to do with our business and absolutely not interesting.
We lost data about this site and login -one drive crash without possibility to recover lots of things.
Well, long ago we sent a message and ask to remove our detail and user account but few days ago you find it, so i re-send removal request and they simply dont care about, not even reply to your message.
:evil:
Once you get in, its almost impossible to get out when you loose account access. :shock:
I give up!!

ChilePepper

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
US Roasters

Hey T,

You should look seriously at US Roasters in Oklahoma City. I just bought a 3kg Millenium shop roaster .. my first .. after looking at everything new and used. I am under 10k total including shipping which is really a great price for a new roaster.

I spent a day and a half last week in OK at the factory roasting full batches of 7 lbs green down to as little as 1/2 a lb. Dan Joliff and his head of service Paul were very generous with their time and we went thru different profiles and maintenance on my new machine. I am brand new to the roasting business so I''m not real familiar with roasters, but I am very familiar with all kinds of machinery and these roasters are well thought out and very well built. Top shelf components, easy to use, easy to clean and easy to maintain as far as I can tell.

I got a couple of options on mine which brought the price up from the basic model. A UL listed electrical panel with a bean probe connected to a temp readout that includes an alarm controlled by your temp set and also controls the flame on and off at your setpoint. I was impressed with the layout and build of the panel .. really solid and well thought out. I went with a UL panel because this machine will end up in a shop in about a year or so. I also had them install a 2nd probe next to the first to use a profile and data logging program on my apple to help me achieve repeatability roasting.

The chaff is collected at the bottom of the roaster and is easy to clean from it''s compartment. I did not get an afterburner .. extra of course .. as I don''t need it where the roaster is going. US makes a nice afterburner system and even has a new smokeless system available for all it''s roasters but of course if you don''t need, no sense spending the money for it.

I did get a couple of other options too .. a stainless cooling bin (this roaster is going to end up on the ocean on the west coast) with a hammered copper wrap around it purely for looks, and hammered copper around the drum cover on the top. Looks great. So I spent a little more than I needed too but I''m very happy with the final price.

I looked at Probat, Petroncini, Died, Primo and a few others and finally settled on US after a few conversations with Dan Joliff the owner. No hard sell which was nice, no \"our roasters are the only good ones\" crap and just plain willingness to answer any and all questions I had. I like that they are easy to get a hold and talk with.

I was nervous wondering whether I or not I made a good decision going with US because I don''t personally know anyone roasting commercially on a US roaster. But that very quickly went away at the factory as we went thru more batches roasting ... the more I used the roaster and discussed everything about it with these guys, the happier I got. The Petroncini may be more elegant and sexy, and the Probat may be more, I don''t know, Probattish, but the US is way less money and is really a good looking solid little guy. I''m happy and real happy with the way its built.

So, as I sit here drinking coffee with my wife that I roasted at the factory last week (and it''s good! damn!), I am quite impatient waiting for my new roaster to show up ... it''s on a truck on it''s way here to Arizona. If you want, I''ll let you know how it goes.

Oh, last thing .. we started out on natural gas and then converted over to propane because that''s how I''m going to use it. Took about half hour total to switch and recalibrate. Easy.

Cheers T hope this helps
ChilePepper :)

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I have an IR-3 and I can tell you that it really takes no longer to pre-heat than any other roaster I have owned. Infra-red vs. gas? Well, the Deidrich uses gas to heat the infra-red blocks. The theory is that there is no direct contact between the flame and bean. Efficient? I suppose. But there are some things about the design I do not like.

In the end, I would take an reliable, old fashioned gas roaster without hesitation. I admit that our coffee is nicely roasted on the IR-3, but I can't say that there is an appreciable difference between those beans vs. beans roasted on my gas flame roaster. It is just a slightly different technique.

People have been enjoying flame-roasted coffee for generations. I am fortunate to say that I have never heard a complaint about any of our coffee, flame roasted or infra-red roasted. With time and practice, you will fine-tune your roasting skills regardless of which roaster you are working with.

I would not get hung up on heat efficiency and flame vs. infra-red. Rather, you would be better served looking at other features in a roaster that will help you achieve the kind of coffee you are striving for and not be controlled by the limitations of the roaster and its features.

Good luck, regardless of which direction you go.

Toper

Dec 23, 2005
izmir / Turkey
Visit site
tlowing said:
I'm ripping this from a forum on another site becasue it seems like good info:

Then theres cheap Turkish roasters such as Toper, benefits:- Cheap. Shortfalls:- Flame directly on drum, and drum not perferated which causes too much conductive heat which results in extensive scorching and tipping; Vey low effeciency which results in roaster not being able to effectively roast its designated capasity i.e. a 30kg toper will probably effectively roast 15kg no more, this is caused by small flame and the metal casing surrounding the drum doesnt hold the heat well so you lose a lot of heat around the sides and bottom of the drum. Again with a lot of skill and knowledge a good roaster can achieve a half decent result with a toper.

http://cremamagazine.sitesuite.ws/forum ... 1157248025

Hi there ,
This good info was written to cream magazie forum on 2006 . It s too old have this a reference and a good info . I would like to inform you that Toper has already changed the flame and heating system totally .So the drum get heat well and the roasting results are so good.

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
US Roaster

I''m new to this forum - but have been reading for some time.

ChilePepper
Q. Did you look at the Ambex? I''m struggling :? between USR and Ambex. Delivery issues with USR? All seem to have a 6-8wk build time or back log.

I read on this forum about the guy from BC that had lots of issues with Ambex that eventually got worked out by Ambex with a replacement roaster - last year I think. Any one heard back from Ed?

The trip to OK sounded like a great idea. Please let us know how things are going...