No air flow controls on Primo 6lb roaster?

Java Junkie

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a small batch gas drum shop roaster under 10lb capacity in order to comply with local air quality requirements of no afterburner. I've been researching Dietrich IR, Ambex, US Roasters, and Primo Roasters as my best choice for a beginners machine to learn the craft of roasting and cupping. While I have found quite a bit of information on most of the roasters, Primo seems to be the most elusive as far as information, particularity on the matter of no air flow control on its 6lb IR roaster. Now I realize I could contact the manufacture, but I'm looking for more than a sales pitch as compared to the real world workings of this machine. Has anyone had any experience on this roaster, its roasting ability, and why it may be a better choice(other than price) than say a Dietrich or US roasters which are both on my short list. Thanks much.

Lariam

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
I don't have experience with this machine but experience with US Roasters. I would not recommend buying from them, and hopefully you have not already. Any experience with the company Ambex?

patrickbock

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My first roaster was a Primo 6 pounder it was all I could afford at the time. It was the only roaster I had for the first 7 years of my company. Great little work horse. There where time when we would get orders for several thousand pounds of coffee and we would have this roaster running 24 hours a day for several days straight. Deon at Primo is a great guy and very help full with problems. Before he started Primo he was a roaster builder at Dietrich Roasters. Most parts can be gotten at Grainger. Our Primo now sits in our showroom as an icon to our company.

California Coffee Roasters