organic coffee or regular

chaeungi

Jun 19, 2015
Seoul
Visit site
So nice I come across this topic, I really fond of organic product because "it's good for health" (not really believe so but at least its taste is amazing though). I have many chances to go to Vietnam, every time I go there I have to pick up a few packs of Organic Weasel coffee. It's a bomb ! Like the taste, the aroma is amazingly good. Many years drinking Vietnamese coffee help me notice that if you want to distinguish between the real organic and the mixture one, when you pour boiling water in side the coffee powder (using Vietnamese coffee maker cup of course), the fake one slacks down while the real one swells up, and also the real one is not as dark as the fake one. I usually buy at Huongmai Cafe, sometime I order from their website. It worth taking a look :images:

Alby

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Typically I'm with the rest of you on decaf, it's pretty much zipless dark water! That said, mMy wife and I were at the art museum in Reno, NV and after viewing the exhibit we had lunch in the little cafe in the museum. She ordered a cup of decaf that was one of the most interesting tasting cups of coffee I have ever had! It was flavorful and smooth. It was roasted by a Northern Nevada roaster called Blind Dog Coffee. I have been afraid to buy any of their coffee though...

Last edited:

Sara

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to roasting, been doing it for 2 month now. yay :) What I learned from this forum and elsewhere is that I should not bother to buy organic beans for several sensible reasons. Ultimately, I wish everything was organic, but thats just not gonna happen. So, I buy beans which are not certified organic. I am however, wondering if there is a rule of thumb I could follow when choosing what country and type of bean. This is purely a self centered thing: I want to limit my intake of any trace chemicals or poisons if possible.
so my question is... Are there certain countries/locations, or certain times of year within a given country that I should avoid buying? Or are there certain types of coffee which might be considered 'less pure'? Referring strictly to pesticides and chemicals only.

As I try to get a good understanding of all things coffee, I came across info that certain types of beans have problems with a coffee disease. But it kinda went over my head after that. It left me wondering if that means there would be heavy chemical reliance.

In a nut shell, I don't mind buying non organic beans, but I still wish I had more knowledge to go on. Most bean sellers tell the elevations of plant, wet process or dry, etc. But how do I choose the lesser of the evils? Do you have any opinions for me? Or links to point me to about what in particular are the pesticides commonly used on coffee? Whether or not they all get burnt away in roasting or do they linger in the bean?

So far I have only tried roasting arabica from columbia and robusta from Java. When I run out of that Im going to try my hand at Ethiopean, and kenya.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I'm new to roasting, been doing it for 2 month now. yay :) What I learned from this forum and elsewhere is that I should not bother to buy organic beans for several sensible reasons. Ultimately, I wish everything was organic, but thats just not gonna happen. So, I buy beans which are not certified organic. I am however, wondering if there is a rule of thumb I could follow when choosing what country and type of bean. This is purely a self centered thing: I want to limit my intake of any trace chemicals or poisons if possible.
so my question is... Are there certain countries/locations, or certain times of year within a given country that I should avoid buying? Or are there certain types of coffee which might be considered 'less pure'? Referring strictly to pesticides and chemicals only.

As I try to get a good understanding of all things coffee, I came across info that certain types of beans have problems with a coffee disease. But it kinda went over my head after that. It left me wondering if that means there would be heavy chemical reliance.

In a nut shell, I don't mind buying non organic beans, but I still wish I had more knowledge to go on. Most bean sellers tell the elevations of plant, wet process or dry, etc. But how do I choose the lesser of the evils? Do you have any opinions for me? Or links to point me to about what in particular are the pesticides commonly used on coffee? Whether or not they all get burnt away in roasting or do they linger in the bean?

So far I have only tried roasting arabica from columbia and robusta from Java. When I run out of that Im going to try my hand at Ethiopean, and kenya.

hi Sara.
Exportation standard coffee (that means every coffee available in NONE coffee origin countries) will not have chemicals or poisons.

Exportation coffee is as clean as it can be. also, even if there are any traces of pesticides / chemicals, when you roast at 400F, NOTHING LEFT TO HARM YOU.

if you want, you can research about "organic coffee" from my postings. I have written a lot about this.

thanks
alex from Ensoluna

Sara

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I guess I will have to spend several weeks tracking down knowledge on the subject. Which I am accustomed to doing when something sparks my interest. Was hoping one of you experienced folks would make my search for knowledge easier.

I was very keen to try coffee from Ethiopia simply because the trees grow native there. However, when I began to google 'fumigation practices' it eventually led me to a Wikipedia page on DDT. Wherein mentions DDT found in coffee from Ethiopia. Further searching brought me to the source page which states, "Studies of cotton IPM in the southern Ethiopia Rift Valley showed that 30% of farmers use DDT for agricultural pest control. As a consequence, DDT residues have been found in export coffee"

The source page is about 6 years old and can be found here: pan-uk dotorg pestnews Issue pn84/PN84_5 (i cant post links yet)

I include this to try and put my original question into perspective. Export laws exist for our safety as do all laws. But realistically speaking man-made systems don't always work as they are intended. In retrospect, I think I'm going to forego trying Ethiopian coffee until I can make a better informed decision.

Thanks Alex, I will definitely do a search on your topics as you requested. :)

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
As you do your research, try to find out which pesticides/toxins you're trying to avoid will be eliminated during the roasting, i.e. what's their boiling point. My guess is that many will have boiling points below the normal temps of the roasting environment and will not survive the trip through the roaster.