Please review my new menu.

CoffeeBlends

Jan 20, 2005
NEBRASKA
Visit site
Thank-you

Wow, thank you for the wonderful compliment.
We use 7grams per shot. I should mention that we roast our own coffees so economically speaking for a roaster it is cheaper or equally priced to the amount of milk that would be used instead of the espresso.

Reading this over also interested me because not all markets are priced equally. For a 16 oz. Mocha we charge $3.00 tax included. We are going up to $3.25 soon but that is the most our market could bare. This is in line with Starsucks prices in our area! OOps I mean Starbucks! (jk don't attack)

I'm thinking of relocating to Hawaii!
:)

BaristaExpress

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
Your Welcome

CoffeeBlends, I know what you mean about the Mc Donald's of coffee (Starbucks). I use a much worst name than the Mc even or your Starsucks.... try this one on for size. Just replace the (s) in sucks for the letter f...... Sorry, I just don't like them and I will never hide that fact! Besides where do they get off selling pre-made espresso based drinks the way they do for the prices they do. I just don't understand the general public that buys their junk! Good Luck in Hawaii if you make the move that is.

Daniel.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
BaristaExpress...how long have you been a barista? Do you own your own shop or do you work in one? Sorry you didn't fill out your profile.

CoffeeBlends

Jan 20, 2005
NEBRASKA
Visit site
Starbucks

For me it is a love hate relationship.
My favorite bumper sticker is Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks! I hang this proudly in front of my register, this prized possesion was given to me by non other than a customer. I resent them for moving into my city just a year ago, when all we small coffee shop owners have been here for ten years. (I'm sure they felt we corn shuckers could not appreciate a good cup of coffee.)

I do realize though that they have the money and marketing to educate the average consumer that I only wish I had. Therefore they have helped me by introducing specialty coffee to the masses. When I receive their customers (which I most definitley do) then it is my job to blow them away! :wink:

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
We've adapted our shots per size according to popular demand of customers: 12oz=single shot, 16,20 oz=double shot, 24oz=triple shot and we have a special 24 oz mocha which is a quad shot. We have people who order 16 oz quads and 24 oz doubles.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The reason I asked how long you have been a barista is cuz most people in the specialty coffee biz wouldn't be in this biz if it wasn't for starbucks. But I see you have been in the game since the pre-starbux craze. Sorry to hear about the b.s. that happened to you..But I still stand by the saying competition is good....keeps you on top of your game. It also bothers me when people dog there competition to their customers...makes them look weak..never have I heard a starbux employee say. I was like at this mom and pop shop the other day and like omg they where like so clueless about coffee..and like their drinks where like so overpriced. :roll:

BaristaExpress

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
dogging the competition

Topher, your right about Starbux bringing the gourmet coffee to the masses like they have. The gourmet coffee industry does owe that much to them, but nothing else. I just can't see why an estblashment with such [stature] as they have, would'nt make a simple change from their pre-made espresso based formuals (espresso & milk mixes) out of the refrigerator and make it fresh each and everytime. And to stop using the fully automatic espresso machine...... They don't have barista's they have a person that learns to push a button for the espresso and to read how much of this and that to pour into a cup and call it a speciality drink. I only think of Starbux as an educator of the masses now in this day and age of the gourmet coffee industry. Because once a Starbux drinker gets to see their drink made (to their order) fresh from scratch just for them by a skilled barista, and they taste the difference fresh makes they'll never go back to Starbux!

Signed,
Daniel.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I feel the same exact way BaristaExpress...so dazzle the customer and don't even bring up the other companies...if someone does...just shift their attention to what you are doing. :wink:

Abigail4476

Jan 27, 2005
Visit site
bluecoffee said:
for me quality is the question. cheap doesn´t mean more customers. Good coffee, more people.
:)

Well, I'm new here...but I agree...folks don't go to specialty coffee shops because they expect the coffee to be inexpensive...it's a luxury, and most people are willing to pay for it. (I know I am, and all my friends are)

Hello, Everyone.

CoffeeBlends

Jan 20, 2005
NEBRASKA
Visit site
hmmmm, was that to me?

Dogging the competition comment.
Lets see actually I had the pleasure to serve a Starbuck's manager not but a week ago at an offsite location, that definitley had the better than though attitude, as if I as a Mom and Pop (this was her assumption was as I guarantee if you were standing in my main cafe you would not assume mom and pop) could never even get close to comparing to a Starbuck's drink. You really think that they do not slam the competition? Indirectly their employees and customers do all the time.
I had the complete pleasure of making her a german chocolate mocha (which by the way, she didn't even have a name for) and I knew when she never came back to gloat I had gotten her!
I do give them credit where credit is deserved but I am allowed to JOKE, (Mind you do you think a bumper sticker could be serious?) about them, especially when they make an effort to move 2 doors down from a lady that has owned a shop here for almost 10 years as well.

So to all feel free to use my favorite comment when handed a Starbucks travel mug to fill:

"Hey I heard when you put good coffee in there the bottom falls out!"