POLL: WHAT'S WRONG WITH STARBUCKS?

brownd

May 12, 2005
Steamy Hilo, Hawai'i
Visit site
Re: Starbucks... not evil... just successful

Bigdog said:
3) both the founder of Starbucks and I agree that coffee tastes best in a ceramic mug; and now it's almost impossible to get a medium size mug of coffee at Starbucks as you have to be quick to ask for a "here" before they get it into one of those chemical-leaching hand-burning paper contraptions.

Worse than that, you have to specifically ask for a "MUG!", maybe twice, or you'll get paper anyway. (Ditto for the pastries) A lot of places have that problem. They often just assume everyone wants paper, in or out. Depends on what kind of employees the manager has hired, which varies wildly from shop to shop.

JenniferRN

May 7, 2005
Oregon, USA
Visit site
Starbucks

I have found that Starbucks coffees and drinks are too sweet for me. I like sweet stuff (sugar, yum :) ), but there is too much of a good thing! I prefer healthier treats and options, but there is not much of that at Starbucks (it seems most of the edibles are laden with too much sugar & fat).

So, everybody likes everything about Starbucks except ... their sugar? LOL

gimme_coffee

May 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
the thing I hate most about Starbucks is that they always seem too busy to be friendly or (in our local one, anyway) act like you were interrupting their sex life for a cup of coffee and they hardly ever smile or if they do, it looks like someone had to stand behind them and pull their mouths into the smile.

good grief...

and they are horribly overpriced for what you get. if I pay that much, I expect a bit of a show with it, not the "I'd rather be somewhere else." routine.

Shari

Jun 22, 2005
Beijing, China
Visit site
Re: Char...er, Strabucks

KoffeeKanada said:
Hello everyone, i'm new here,anybody heard of Second Cup?
Or are they only in Canada?
Starbucks has really bad tasting coffee,i have purchased many cups
and many#of beans,Second cup is so supperior to Starbucks!
am i missing something?

Hi, I am in Beijing, China. I found out a cafe named Second Cup which is just very close to my home.

I am a new comer here :oops: and I do love to read about what all you write.

I drink a lot of Starbucks coffee in China from 1999 till now. I even won a lot of gift from Sts before according to so many cups I drank. Maybe it's because there's no other good choice for coffee in China at those time, I guess. The obvious good point for Sts is its standard quality while the bad one is this either. Somehow, when you try to find out something new there or other place, it's just difficult.

But, now, the industry of coffee shop is really in a heyday here. We can choose among multiple choices. And Sts also joins in as a member to bring forth the fresh.:p

Java K's Inc

Jun 12, 2005
Greensboro, NC
Visit site
I am answering this only as a coffee drinker not as a shop owner. I do own my own shop, due to open in several weeks but still drinking speciality drinks from Starbucks when I'm in their area. Because there is no other location close by, my choice has been limited to Starbucks. I have become disenchanted with Starbucks over the years. When I first started frequenting their business it was something new & different so I was willing to overlook some of the things I didn't like about it. Very small space, only a few tables, and in general it was buy your drink and move on. They did at least have a small counter at the window where if you were alone you might find a seat. They have now removed even the window seating. I would have to frequent this location every day of the week before anyone would recognize me, not to mention what sort of drink was my usual. I would no doubt have reverted to using a drive up window if they had one, since there is about as much ambience in the shop as in the interior of my car. Well maybe more in my car since I could then choose my own music to enjoy with my cup of Mocha. For some reason they have a problem with getting all of the chocolate mixed up and when I get to the bottom it's like biting into a Hershey bar!! I'm looking forward to opening my own shop so I don't have to go to Starbucks to suffer through a mediocre Mocha.

kimmie

Jul 26, 2005
singapore
Visit site
don't hate me for this

hi..i m posting some really honest feedback over here.. I really love starbucks..i started out drinking starbucks not knowing who they are and what is coffee..to me that is just some weird brew my granny will drink with me when i was in pre-school..till i joined them back abt 7 years back..i know that they are really big and multiplying ..a lot of ppl dislike them as they are over size but one thing for sure..they really treated their employees with respect and put a lot of effort into their training..they make me what i m now..squeezing my way to any coffee info..looking into the state of coffee as well as they really take care of their partners the coffee farmers and treating the bean with respect...even though..i have left them for another company..they still contact me to ensure that i am fine and alive..

rwrtaz41

Aug 27, 2005
Kissimmee Florida
Visit site
Re: Char...er, Strabucks

ralphshade said:
topher said:
had a few pints this evening so I am going to chime in...it doesn't taste burned...they are just roasting out all the flaws in the coffee..see coffee changes crop to crop..the darker you roast...the more conformity crop to crop... :roll:

Hey topher!

Perhaps if they bought better coffee they wouldn't have to burn, er, "roast out all the flaws"?
:twisted:
Im sory Starbucks ...SUCKS ! was raised in France made Expresso s an Latte 's at 13 You dont use milk for a Cappuchino but Starbucks does an there way to high for there Service !

Starbucks is not about the coffee. Disabuse yourselves of that notion - it isn't even a point worth making fun of them. Starbucks has turned coffee into a delivery system for fat and sugar. Behold the power of cheese.

And they want distinctive flavor profile. Roasting just shy of Kingsford gives them a distinctive flavor that won't get confused for anything else. It is to some degree like Hershey who to differentiate from European style chocolate put slightly soured milk in his recipes. It does not taste better, but it is distinctive.

Starbucks is not a coffee company. it is a marketing company.

Pinky

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I find that Starbucks purposely looks for mom and pop coffee shops that do really well and move across the street. I’ve seen this more than a few times

I used to work at a Seattle Best. We were the only coffee shop in this busy financial district.

Starbucks contacted the owners and gave them the option of selling out or they would move in across the street.

I also remember that some guy was going around to local shops telling them they couldn’t use the name Mochachino cuz it was copyrighted by Starbucks.

Juliann Castell

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
"Im sory Starbucks ...SUCKS ! was raised in France made Expresso s an Latte 's at 13 You dont use milk for a Cappuchino but Starbucks does an there way to high for there Service !"

OK - Question - if you don't use milk...what do you use? :grin: :D

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Re: Starbucks

melisamorris said:
I used to really like Starbucks but now I'm a bit disenchanted. The shops I sometimes visit today (when I have no "mom & pop" close by) seem to be too busy to be friendly and customer focused. I do not dislike Starbucks but again, if there is a mom & pop shop around that I like, I'll go there first.

EXACTILY. 8)

ElPugDiablo

Juliann Castell said:
"Im sory Starbucks ...SUCKS ! was raised in France made Expresso s an Latte 's at 13 You dont use milk for a Cappuchino but Starbucks does an there way to high for there Service !"

OK - Question - if you don't use milk...what do you use? :grin: :D

Assuming Expresso in French is espresso in English, and Cappuchino in French is cappuccino in English. What do you use? As far as I know in Italy, same as in the US, milk is used for cappuccino.