POLL: WHAT'S WRONG WITH STARBUCKS?

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Muddycup said:
I sum it up like this, when starbucks comes to a town or neighborhood it's all about starbucks. When and independent opens its all about the community.

Really? Because my Starbucks donates all it's leftover pastries to the local foodbank. They sponsor local walk-a-thons, and often have local musicians playing throughout the day. The employees know most of the regular customers by name and drink. And there are tons of other community building projects Starbucks participates in throughout the year.

Starbucks is a franchise, and it's easy to think that because of that, they don't plant roots in the community. But in actuality the stores are run by people that live in the community, they aren't shipping in robot baristas.

Starbucks, like Ben and Jerry's, got big because they were good at what they did. They got popular, and were able to expand. But they still keep the same principles that Starbucks was founded on, when it was just one local coffee shop. It's not the evil empire that people would like to associate all franchise organiations with.

desert rose

May 9, 2006
Visit site
EXCEPT the price. it is very high, not just for the coffee but for the cakes and the sandwiches too. in my counrty one cup of starbucks coffee costs $4 and the cake also cost $4. I think there should be more variation in the food they are serving, or at least they should change from time to time. :roll:

coffeebabe16

May 26, 2006
Visit site
i have had starbucks before they do have very unique and nice coffee but we payed about $12 a cup for me and my mum each so we dont go there anymore as it is to pricy even the new maccas restrants coffee is getting better and they are very afforadable coffee the mac caffes i think they are a exclent idea but if there is not one near buy we just go to a samll stall coffee shop which we like to pay about $3 each which is a afforadble price. :grin:

alunabay

Jun 1, 2006
Visit site
Re: Confusing the customer to sell more lattes

harpua said:
one word....

Macchiato

Call a Latte a Latte.

Except that a latte isn't the same as a macchiato. A latte is espresso with steamed milk and a little foam, and a macchiato is made like a long black (espresso and hot water) except that it has a little milk/foam on the top.

Personally, I don't mind Starbucks (and I shouldn't say that as I work at a 'rival' store *g*), but I'm not a huge fan of their hot drinks (their frappuccinos and iced drinks, however...yum!).

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
actaully a macchiato is a shot of espresso with a dollop of froth on top...it translates to espresso stained with milk...so maybe starbux was trying to say stained with caramel..the only carmel in their carmal macchiato is on top of the drink...the syrup is vanilla

alunabay

Jun 1, 2006
Visit site
topher said:
actaully a macchiato is a shot of espresso with a dollop of froth on top...it translates to espresso stained with milk...so maybe starbux was trying to say stained with caramel..the only carmel in their carmal macchiato is on top of the drink...the syrup is vanilla

Ohhh, probably just confusion due to different places. We've got both a short and long macchiato, the short being the espresso stained with milk, the long being the long black style one.

I nearly bought a caramel macchiato today, too...I really wish I had now!

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
the difference between a latte and a caramel machiatto is that the shot goes on top of a machiatto. And the caramel and vanilla, of course. What this does, is creat layers in the drink. It's very evident if you get an iced machiatto, since the cup is clear. Where as with the latte everything is mixed together by the pouring of the milk.

harpua

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Re: Confusing the customer to sell more lattes

alunabay said:
harpua said:
one word....

Macchiato

Call a Latte a Latte.

Except that a latte isn't the same as a macchiato.

Yea, that was my point. My problem with Starbucks is what they call a macchiato is actually a latte.

unit_number_43

May 8, 2006
Pennsylvania
Visit site
what you're describing is an espresso machiatto. traditionally a shot with just alittle bit of milk on top. the carmel machiatto however is a full drink. if you wanted to call it a latte it would be a Vanilla Latte, Affigato style, with caramel drizzle. saying that a caramel machiatto is a misnomer is just being anal. Next you're going to say that the Frappacino doesn't actually come with a pair of nice slacks. Maybe the name was butchered, but it's now very obvious as to what yo'ure getting.

It does bother me that the "caramel" drinks don't usually have any caramel in them. Caramel Apple Cider for instance only has caramel on top, not actually in the drink.

CafeNomad

Jun 7, 2006
Norway, Maine
Visit site
So the coffee taste burnt and it appears overpriced and there competitive practices can be a bit preditory. But no one has mentioned how they treat their employees? Part-timers get health insurance, profit sharing, and 401-k's don't they? Isn't that good for a local community? Maybe that is why their prices are high, so that employees can be fairly compensated. They certainly aren't Wal-Mart or McDonalds.

Latest posts