Problems with our AMBEX Roaster

IndCoffeeOfPA

Jul 17, 2009
Kennett Square, PA
Visit site
We recently setup a YM10 (2005 model) in our new shop and ran some test batches. Unfortunately, the beans are coming out with 3/4 nice and 1/4 burnt. Seems to be the beans that pour out of the drum at the end of the dump that are burnt. Have tried 10 LB roasts and 20 LB roasts, all the same. The roast time for the 10 were 7.30 min, pulled at 450 degrees and the 20lb were 11.45 min and 435 degrees. We checked the level on the unit and it was slightly lower on one end so we leveled her up and still had the same result. Have been testing with sumatra and columbian, a nice waste of money today.... Also, have called the Ambex folks a dozen times and are getting no response back..bummer. Lastly, the burners look to be about .25 inches closer to the drum than our YM30 and the beans seem to crack earlier than our other roaster, start cracking at 345 degrees, stop at 390. Temperature set-point on the Watlow was 415 for a majority of the batches. Please help. Love the forum, great posts!!

Thanks in advance for the help!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Give me a call today and we can walk through some things..make sure the roaster is completely level. This will throw your roasts off. I do not think the placement of the burner is an issue. Here are some things to take note of before you call so we can figure out what is going on. Are you adjusting your gas pressure when you do smaller roasts? I have been able to do down to under a 1/4 pound on a 2 kilo ambex and under 6 lbs on a 15 kilo Ambex. Where do you have your air damper set? Are the exhaust fans clean and free of build up? If there is blockage or anything hindering the exhaust this could lead to your problem as well. There are many things that can play havoc in a roast...don't worry we will figure it out. As to Ambex not answering...I spoke with them two days ago and they have a huge class going on. I do have the manual for the watlow if you have any more issues 8) Talk to you later today...and don't stress to hard..Ambex roasters kick ass! (side note I do not or never have worked or been paid by Ambex) :wink:

IndCoffeeOfPA

Jul 17, 2009
Kennett Square, PA
Visit site
Thank you very much. Will call later today, after I pick up a Manometer. More I think about it, it is probably a gas pressure issue, as I have no idea on the pressure. We ran the airflow damper at closed and 1/4 open for a couple roast, had about a 1/4 cup of condensate run out of the machine. Ran it full open on the rest of he roasts, no condensate and no change in the output, but I think it slowed the roast speed a little. The exhaust was completely cleared out, and I cleaned the entire machine again lastnight, so we are good to go. Hope you are well in sunny florida, spent a lot of time in Boca, great place.

IndCoffeeOfPA

Jul 17, 2009
Kennett Square, PA
Visit site
OK, to close the loop on this post. First of all, a ton of thanks to Topher for his help and guidance!! Finally figured out we needed to change all the burner tips to convert from natty to propane. What a learning experience that was!! 100 or so pounds of coffee makes for an expensive learning experience.

Now to roasting the good stuff!

Eric