Problems with Turning point

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
Hello everyone!
I have modified the thermopast because the ROR did not register well, but now with the same steps to follow as before, the turning point is delayed to 2:12 when before with the same coffee and the same inlet temperature it was 2.02.
The coffee I'm talking about is a natural Brazil and the entry temperature is 160 degrees.
I appreciate the help.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am a bit confused. Entry temperature? Do you mean the temp you are dropping the coffee into the drum? If so...that is really low. Even if you are talking Celsius vs Fahrenheit that is really low. What roaster and size are you using, how much coffee are you roasting at a time and how long are your batches taking?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The turning point is somewhat of a fictitious number.. its simply the temp which the thermocouple and ambient temps meet. I wouldn't worry too much about it.... focus on your other milestones (dry / FC / SC) and how the coffee tastes.

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
I am a bit confused. Entry temperature? Do you mean the temp you are dropping the coffee into the drum? If so...that is really low. Even if you are talking Celsius vs Fahrenheit that is really low. What roaster and size are you using, how much coffee are you roasting at a time and how long are your batches taking?
Yes, the entry temperature at which I drop the coffee into the drum is in degrees Celsius, my machine is 5 kg and I put 4 kg in it.
Toasting time is usually about 13 minutes.

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
The turning point is somewhat of a fictitious number.. its simply the temp which the thermocouple and ambient temps meet. I wouldn't worry too much about it.... focus on your other milestones (dry / FC / SC) and how the coffee tastes.
Yes, now with this modification I have to modify everything.
decrease in temperature and increase in air flow.
Thank you so much.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
13 minutes is fast. I get it...its how a lot of the new school roasters roast. Anytime I taste coffee roasted between 9 and 13 minutes it tastes as if it had not been rested. It tastes grassy.

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
13 minutes is fast. I get it...its how a lot of the new school roasters roast. Anytime I taste coffee roasted between 9 and 13 minutes it tastes as if it had not been rested. It tastes grassy.
I tried to put 3,500 kg in it today and it seems that the turn point has dropped somewhat 1:59 I will try with this quantity to see if I can control the roasting better.

Aguilar

Aug 10, 2023
Spain
Visit site
Why do you drop your coffee at such a low temperature? What is your finish temperature? What brand roaster are you using?
I have a 5kg Toper toaster, and the final temperature is about 191º degrees to 193º.
I think my problem is that the sensors do not indicate my temperature correctly.
I already had to change them once when I bought the new machine. And that is what makes me not have an improvement in my profiles.

tonix

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Just read this, I am roasting in a 10kg gas roaster, I roast 6kg batches and my charge temp is 155c without any issues