Question on Cost of Fair Trade Organic Sumatra Mandheling

nipsip

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Thinking of buying some fair trade organic Sumatra Mandheling, however the price ranges from $7 a pound green to $24 roasted for the exact same coffee per description. I have a Neuvo Simonelli single gang that I bought at the factory in 1989 (they actually had to special order it since at that time they were not making 60 cycles/sec machines). Anyway anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello nipsip

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out what you are asking.

I'm guessing that you're not interested in buying green fair trade organic Sumatra Mandheling, and that you want to get it already roasted. If that's the case, there obviously is no need to compare the price of green coffee with roasted coffee.

When I first read your post, it seemed like you were looking for suggestions about prices for that particular coffee, or possibly some suggestions on what kind of coffee to use with your coffee maker.

Please clarify, and maybe someone will be able to help you..

nipsip

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello nipsip

It's a bit confusing trying to figure out what you are asking.

I'm guessing that you're not interested in buying green fair trade organic Sumatra Mandheling, and that you want to get it already roasted. If that's the case, there obviously is no need to compare the price of green coffee with roasted coffee.

When I first read your post, it seemed like you were looking for suggestions about prices for that particular coffee, or possibly some suggestions on what kind of coffee to use with your coffee maker.

Please clarify, and maybe someone will be able to help you..

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the price of $14 a pound and $24 a pound for the exact same coffee roasted. I guess I need some suggestions about who to buy from and why there is such a price difference for the exact same coffee (the actual description of source and history of the coffee is the exact same on many websites). I am assuming that they buy the same green coffee from this fair trade co-op and then roast it.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Buy a pound each and see what you like best. More expensive doesn't mean better flavour.

I agree. Here are some facts about the coffee your asking about.

1. chemicals for agriculture are illegal in Sumatra, this means all the coffee is organic no matter if it has the stamp or not at the origin. Poor farmers that can not pay for the organic certification can not afford the chemicals in the countries.
2. 99% of all coffee that comes in the USA goes into one of the big coffee storage facilities no matter who bought or is selling it. ALL of the coffee gets fumigated to keep the bugs from going crazy. The organic coffee has its own section that has a vinyl wall or covered in tarps. So even though it is said to be organic it has still been fumigated in storage.

Price can be different for the following reasons:

1. screen size, smaller the bean the cheaper
2. past or current crop, past crops are older and less money
3. roasters ability to buy in quantity. a roaster that buys and ships 50 pounds pays way more per pound than the one that buys and ships 1000 pounds per order.
4. same as above with bags, buying small quantity means more ever bag.
5. some roasters are VERY proud of their work.
6. roasters ability to contract coffee hen prices are low.

I was in Denver at a roaster and they were selling the same coffee I do for $21 per pound. My price for the same coffee is $10.50 per pound. After I stopped laughing it hit me that his price is much higher because he was buying one bag at a time.

Point is that the coffee could be the same just different supply chain and overhead can change the roasters price.

sorry for TMI

Mikho

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Not TMI, more knowledge means better decisions. I know a lot about coffee but the whole organic, fumigation procedure I was not aware of. Thank you for the information!!!