Rancilio Rocky Any Good??

ExpressoNube

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Hello Everyone!! :coffee:

I am happily upgrading my grinder from a Krups GX5000. I am looking at the Ranchilo Rocky Doserless and I was wondering if you would kindly give me your opinion on this item or recommend one that you think would suit me.

I only drink expresso but I would be open to experimenting with different brew types in the future. So having something that had decent range would be nice.

I also don't care about crema or experiencing the full flavor profile. I only drink espresso for the caffeine and I like my espresso black and bitter. So I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) a grinder with numerous steps would suit me well or result in higher caffeinated shots.

I am looking for a grinder this is very, very durable and long lasting (10+ years is my goal). Something that can stay in the family and has many parts available that will allow me to replace as needed.

The espresso machine that I'm currently using is the Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System, ECMP50 but I will eventually upgrade to something maybe in the mid-range. But I’m also considering a Moka Pot as well.

Please let me know if you have a Rocky and what you think of it (cleaning, maintenance, etc.) as well as is if there is something else that you would recommend.

Thank you!!

duc687

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
That grinder is fine...
If you are only drinking espresso for the caffeine maybe consider drip or French press as the caffeine content is actually higher...
The way to get caffeine out of coffee beans is soaking them with water ( Swiss method for removing caffeine in decaf ) so a simplistic way of looking at is the longer you soak the grounds in water the more caffeine you will get. Espresso actually has lower caffeine then regular drip coffee that is ( before some people freak out ) if you drink an americano vs a cup of drip coffee the drip has more caffeine....
Now if you drink a cup of espresso well that's a different story...
then espresso is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I've had a Rocky for 1 year now and find it to be a fantastic grinder. The build quality, performance, consistency is very good, especially for the price point. I have an older one (2005), but found it barely used. Not likely the build quality has changed over the years as most things Rancilio makes are just basic/commercial with few changes along the way. No need to fix what isn't broken right? The Rocky is built for heavy home use/light commercial use, having a direct drive motor, aluminum motor housing/brass burr carrier, nicely designed 50mm burrs and a stainless steel frame. The doser on mine is all aluminum, which adds more heft and minimizes heat from continuous grinding. Some don't like dosers for home use, but I do and find them to be great when used efficiently.