Rancilio Silvia Espresso Beans

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah putting a 1 lb.+ portafilter in the water reservoir during transit might not be the best thing to do. I wouldn't say it's "normal" to see water seeping from the group area during an extraction, but yeah it happens. Provided the group gasket is new it could have stray grounds on it preventing a good seal OR you've dosed too much in the basket OR it might benefit from locking in a bit tighter. If the group gasket is new and is of the right size the portafilter should engage right off the bat and provide a great seal...

donpepingarcia

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Rancilio Silvia rebuild

aaalright, one last grip/concern, and then I'll shut up. :eek:

I've pulled 6 shots from my 'rebuilt (?) (had boiler corrosion issues and leakage issues out of the handle area) ($175) Silvia...... 3 of the shots were just about perfect (except the beans I'm using are not the best) and the other 3 were ok. My concern is that I'm still occasionaly getting some water seepage, that runs down the portafilter. Not a lot, but a slow drip.....sometimes 10-12 drops into my shot. Any idea if my issue is cranking the handle too far, not enough, or maybe it's my grind and pack? or amount of coffee? or does it take new seals a few runs to seal up.......

thanks for any replies on this possible issue..........i have an email into 'whole latte love' to see what they did exactly regarding my rebuild.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Are you occasionally cleaning the group area with a brush? Built-up grounds can get on the gasket and cause leaking... Also overdosing the basket (not having enough headspace) can cause the puck to dig into the screen preventing a good seal when you lock it in.

A new gasket should work great right away. They really need no break-in time to seal properly.

donpepingarcia

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I was packing too much and not cranking the handle far enough. Last 6 pulls have been perfect, knockwood.

Those redbird beans you recommeded are outstanding.......thankyou.

donpepingarcia

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rancilio Silvia Esp Beans/redbird beans/Silvia temp booster

people on that home barista thread really dig the red bird beans......I agree with many on there regarding the dark chocolate and nut flavors. Seems like a great deal for the 5lb bag.
They do talk about experimenting with different temperature extractions.

I remember seeing an 'add on' for the Silvia where people have 'turboed' their machines.....I'm not sure if it's an instant hot add on, or something that makes the temperature higher for extraction. Are you familiar with this device?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah that is a great price for 5 lbs. compared to anything else I've seen. Most nationally known "artisan" roasted beans start around $1 per oz.

Only device I can think of would be a PID. Your machine has a thermostat that kicks the heating element ON/OFF as needed, but most of them have alot of deadband, meaning large temperature fluctuations. One thing to offset this would be temperature surfing (see YouTube videos for this). Another is to add a PID which takes the guesswork out of it by keeping the water temperature in the present zone. It takes the place of your thermostat and controls the heating element directly. A PID'd machine won't make necessarily make better espresso than the best you can obtain without one, just does so with much greater consistency.

donpepingarcia

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I like the price.....I already drop enough $ on cigars, I dont need to start buying $20 a pound coffee. Although I'm sure I will at some point. lol

That's it, the PID. Ok, more consistent pulls due to constant temp. got it. I think they cost like $350 if I remember correctly....not a cheap add on. but sounds like it's not essential to good shots. cool.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well I'd say a good PID can be had for less than that and lots of people buy the individual components and build one themselves to save $$$.

It's not essential to good shots, just consistency to obtain those shots. If you can pinpoint the sweet spot with your machine/coffee and duplicate that time and time again no PID, etc. can do any better.