Roasters for a inspiring novice

BenBean

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
Ok,

I''ve gotten the bug to roast some coffee. My plan is to just roast up for myself and then possibly see if I got enough skillz to sell it a bit.

Of course budget is a concern so I''m looking for some suggestions for a first roaster. I''m looking for something that is solid and stable but won''t cost me thousands of dollars. I''d love to move up to a nice big Toper or something like that if things work out well but I want to start off small and just go at it as a hobby at first.

Thanks again

Ben

Home Roasters

I have a Fresh Roast 8 plus which is a real inexpensive roaster and I think it is great for the hobby home roaster. Home roasting is really a lot of fun. I sell green beans and also have some inexpensive home roasters on my website. The nice thing is you can check them our and compare the different roasters.

Thanks Jim, though I'm hoping to get a machine that I could roast around 1/2 to 1lb at a time.

Right now it seems the two major roasters in my range are the Hottop Coffee Roaster and the Gene Cafe Coffee Bean Roaster. Are their any strong pro-cons for these units? Part of me thinks the Hottop would be better training towards larger roasters since it has a more manual feel to it. Thoughts? Or am I missing some other good roasters in the .5 to 1lb range?

Thanks!

Hottop

I don't know much about the Hottop but it looks like more of a commercial roaster. Other than the Gene Cafe there is a Swismar roaster also. As I said before I have a Fresh Roast because of the price. But the reviews on the Gene Cafe and Swismar look pretty good.

Thanks,

BenBean said:
Right now it seems the two major roasters in my range are the Hottop Coffee Roaster and the Gene Cafe Coffee Bean Roaster. Are their any strong pro-cons for these units? Part of me thinks the Hottop would be better training towards larger roasters since it has a more manual feel to it. Thoughts? Or am I missing some other good roasters in the .5 to 1lb range?

Thanks!
Unfortunately Hottop does not give you a real feel for a commercial roaster. While it looks like a miniaturized commercial roaster it does not have a lot of features that are usually common in today's commercial roasters. If you want to get a feel of commercial roasting, visit your local roasters. They may not want to talk to you while they are roasting, but most love to do a dog and pony show after they are not busy. Some such as Intelligentsia actually gives tour. Obviously, it won't hurt if you are a customer.

Have you done any roasting at all?

Why not try the WhirleyPop method for a while? It''s definitely manual, you can''t help but learn the different sounds/smells of the different stages of roasting, you can roast in .5 lb batches, and it''s inexpensive in case you get bored with it after a few months.

A WhirleyPop is $25 and if you don''t have a decent camp stove, you can get one for < $50.

I''ve been roasting for about a year and a half with a WhirleyPop and I love it. It''s personal, I have very good control over my roasts and if anything stops working on the \"machine\", I can order another one without saving up.

Just my $.02...good luck!

Back