Seattle's Best

brandonlink

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
i love starbucks coffee, but i'd rather go to the little local shops and support them and their coffee endeavors. but many times starbucks has faster service, more drink options, better music and even (i hate to say it) better prices! i try to mix it up though...

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
Wow, as a new member, I'm surprised at all the negative opinions of Starbucks coffee. I love their coffee! Their extra bold French Roast is my absolute favorite. I guess I need to venture out some more and see what else is out there.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
I don't think we hate Starbucks. In reality they have taken coffee to a whole new level in North America. Without a doubt leaps and bounds above the coffee we grew up with. That being said, Seattles Best is dumbing down their coffee the last time I went there. And coffee you get in the grocery store is already 3-5 months old before you get it home. For a few extra dollars you can know exactly what coffee you are getting and have it roasted to order, versus buying a non-descript blend from the grocery store.

I am guilty as many that I spend a lot of time at Starbucks because they are one of the few coffee shops to provide electricity and an internet connection. While I drink their coffee while I am there, they can't beat my daily Sea Mountain Ka'u Coffee. They just can't in my humble opinion. Nothing wrong with liking their coffee, I just suggest trying different varietals ( in a dark roast no less) and see the difference in taste.

Culinaria

Jul 13, 2011
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't knock coffee connoisseurs who like Starbucks. Some people like that hard roasted flavor.

For me, my only disdain is on how much Starbucks has made coffee into a fatty flavored hot drink people suck down purely for the hope of making up for an hour or two of sleep. Compared to Illy, Lavazza, and even Caribou...I PERSONALLY think Starbucks is one step above McDonald's.

Again though, I also think it's because of my experiences in Europe where cafes are about places you sit down with a nice beverage served in a porcelain cup and people sipped and conversed with coffee. I don't like how coffee in the US is more seen as just liquid caffeine...and I get irked when I go even into local cafes and they use paper cups for people who stay in over regular cups.

I think if one simply doesn't like coffee except when it's loaded with steamed milk and syrups, then so be it. They can enjoy that or just get a soda...but those who really want to savor coffee should seek out coffee that doesn't require much added to it. I used to toss skim milk and sugar (or Spenda) into my coffee, but when I found better quality coffees, I find myself putting in less milk and no sweetening...just because it has a nice flavor on its own.

But hey...if one honestly likes Starbucks, then more power to them.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
It depends, I'm not a big fan of Starbucks. But if your going to buy store bought beans, your best bet is going to a Starbucks directly and grabbing a bag of beans vs anything in a grocery store (especially since majority are pre-ground inc Starbucks at grocery stores). Starbucks special edition/anniversary type roasted beans are actually pretty good, we just had their Bold & Spicy Anniversary blend and it was surprisingly very good.

But since they don't always have their special roast all the time, of their normal line, their Cafe Verona Bold is good.

DennyCrane

Oct 30, 2011
Cloverdale, BC
Visit site
Culinaria said:
For me, my only disdain is on how much Starbucks has made coffee into a fatty flavored hot drink people suck down purely for the hope of making up for an hour or two of sleep. Compared to Illy, Lavazza, and even Caribou...I PERSONALLY think Starbucks is one step above McDonald's.

Again though, I also think it's because of my experiences in Europe where cafes are about places you sit down with a nice beverage served in a porcelain cup and people sipped and conversed with coffee. I don't like how coffee in the US is more seen as just liquid caffeine...and I get irked when I go even into local cafes and they use paper cups for people who stay in over regular cups.
Yes, I'm one of those people who usually enjoys his coffee on the run. Although I do take time out on the weekends to enjoy my coffee with nothing going on but maybe the TV.

Culinaria said:
I think if one simply doesn't like coffee except when it's loaded with steamed milk and syrups, then so be it. They can enjoy that or just get a soda...but those who really want to savor coffee should seek out coffee that doesn't require much added to it. I used to toss skim milk and sugar (or Spenda) into my coffee, but when I found better quality coffees, I find myself putting in less milk and no sweetening...just because it has a nice flavor on its own.
As for masking my coffee with cream and sugar, no way! It has to be black! I thoroughly enjoy the taste of coffee, and see no need to mask it with anything. The only time I'll add cream is if the coffee is pure crap (Tim Horton’s for example). As long as it's a good coffee, I much prefer it black.

Surfer said:
It depends, I'm not a big fan of Starbucks. But if your going to buy store bought beans, your best bet is going to a Starbucks directly and grabbing a bag of beans vs anything in a grocery store (especially since majority are pre-ground inc Starbucks at grocery stores). Starbucks special edition/anniversary type roasted beans are actually pretty good, we just had their Bold & Spicy Anniversary blend and it was surprisingly very good.

But since they don't always have their special roast all the time, of their normal line, their Cafe Verona Bold is good.
Yeah, the Verona is not bad. I still prefer a darker roast though. I can't stand their Charismas blends that just came out though. Starbucks always brews their Pike Place roast (eww), and then a weekly rotating dark roast. I always get the dark, which is typically a French, Italian, Verona etc. But from now until Christmas they have their "spicy" Christmas blend as the dark roast brew. I had it twice, but I'm not a fan of it at all. I mentioned this to the lady in the store the other day, and she recommended I try the Christmas Espresso roast that just came out. She gave me a few beans to take home and try, and again, I didn't like it. It's all about the French roast for me...yum!

I think the thing I like about Starbucks is that I know what I'm getting, and I can pretty much find a store anywhere. You never know what you're going to get by going to some random coffee shop. I went to Blendz today and got a cup of their dark roast which I did not enjoy one bit.

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Yes, I'm one of those people who usually enjoys his coffee on the run. Although I do take time out on the weekends to enjoy my coffee with nothing going on but maybe the TV.

As for masking my coffee with cream and sugar, no way! It has to be black! I thoroughly enjoy the taste of coffee, and see no need to mask it with anything. The only time I'll add cream is if the coffee is pure crap (Tim Horton’s for example). As long as it's a good coffee, I much prefer it black.

Yeah, the Verona is not bad. I still prefer a darker roast though. I can't stand their Charismas blends that just came out though. Starbucks always brews their Pike Place roast (eww), and then a weekly rotating dark roast. I always get the dark, which is typically a French, Italian, Verona etc. But from now until Christmas they have their "spicy" Christmas blend as the dark roast brew. I had it twice, but I'm not a fan of it at all. I mentioned this to the lady in the store the other day, and she recommended I try the Christmas Espresso roast that just came out. She gave me a few beans to take home and try, and again, I didn't like it. It's all about the French roast for me...yum!

I think the thing I like about Starbucks is that I know what I'm getting, and I can pretty much find a store anywhere. You never know what you're going to get by going to some random coffee shop. I went to Blendz today and got a cup of their dark roast which I did not enjoy one bit.
See if you can find some of their Bold & Spicy blend, I was stunned at how good it was. I'll have to try the Xmas Espresso... could always be diff taste, I may like it LOL. But yeh generally not a fan, if i have to grab beans quickly I'll only use their Verona blend, don't like their other ones.

Latest posts