Thinking about Roasting and selling from home (missionary support)

AMcKillip

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Hello!
My wife and I are camp directors/ program directors on a Christian camp in Wyoming. Our positions here are unpaid so we raise missionary support to be here on staff. We looooove coffee and on of the youth pastors that came through the camp suggested that we look into roasting coffee at home and selling it in small batches to friends, family, churches, and the surrounding area to help with our support. I love this idea but I found this website and it looked like a good place to find some helpful input about this idea. Any and all advise would be extremely appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my question!

KalousKoffee

Jan 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
Great idea. I'm in the process of starting a home roasting business as well. The biggest thing I've learning through the process is take time to do you research. Getting as well educated as you can on the whole process. SweetMarias is a website that I use a lot to learn and educate myself. They also have great descriptions of their green coffee offerings. It's been about 4 months since I started really wanting to learn about roasting and thinking of opening a business. I plan on starting my business in 3 months. Still lots of learning to do!

Good luck!!

AMcKillip

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the Replies! Im looking into either the Behmor 1600 Plus, or the Gene Cafe Drum Roaster. Any suggestions?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
The Behmor is a better option due to effective batch size.

I would look through the home roasting forum HERE too. If you enjoy what you are doing, you can always upgrade to a more professional style roaster.
Remember, the roaster is a tool. If you use it to the best of it's ability, it's better than an an expensive roaster in the hands of someone who doesn't care.

Best of luck.