What are coffee "pods"?

MikeRocha

New member
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I came across this article about coffee pods.

http://coffeemakeraccessories.blog.gy/2 ... omment-786

In the article they talk about these pods and how good they are. Can anyone tell me what they are talking about? I've never heard of a "pod". Also, are Keurig coffee makers good? Are they especially made for these pod thingy's their talking about?

Thanks

Mike Rocha
 
Its nothing more then ground coffee prepackaged in a pod that can be inserted into a pod brewer. They are meant for single servings only.

Pods aren't for everyone. I haven't had coffee from a pod yet that I liked. For me I mainly grind my own coffee and brew it on my Bunn brewer.
 
Hey there CCafe!

Thanks for the info. Since pods are meant for a single serving I would think the variability of the brew goes way up. Is this true? I mean, with a whole pot of coffee you get an averaging of all the variables. Hence, better consistency. Maybe I'm in left field with this thought. But, it's not the first time anyone's thought that! :-)

By the way, I lived in Urbandale for 6 years from '67 to '73. Went to Olmstead elementary from kindergarten to 5th grade. Then we moved to south Florida. I wish we had stayed in Iowa.

Mike Rocha
 
I am finding that a lot of the high end hotels want the pods for convenience. I have tried so many pods over the past year and I am amazed how people will take convenience over quality! I have yet to find a pod that makes a consistent shot with decent crema...well that is if it isn't packed full of robusta :( Mike..not a fan of South FL? We relocated our roastery here 4 years ago..personally I love the heat and humidity but could do with out the sun :?
 
I won a Tassimo pod brewer for being the biggest blabbermouth on Twitter one day about coffee. While I think many folks would appreciate the variety, convenience and cool look of the machine on the counter (it looks nice on ours), it is just instant coffee to me.

As a dealer in the finest rare coffees in the world, who can basically drink the world's beans in my cup each morning, I'll pass. And the faux milk latte tastes eeew. But my son likes it, so hey.

Cheers!

Lisa
 
I think a lot of the confusion comes from people using the words pods and capsules for the same thing. For me, the biggest advantage is convenience. You get a quick, consistent cup with almost no cleanup. That said, fresh ground coffee still gives you more control over the strength and flavor. I can see pods being useful at work or when you only want one cup, but at home I would still choose freshly brewed coffee most of the time.
 
I haven’t gotten any in a long time..like with my single serve Hamilton Beach. I use the free basket and yeah some brick Cafe Morro from Aldi…idk I like that one tho it makes the water thin through the pod stabber. Say no to muddy coffee. I like my metal sunwill cup but yeah cheers.
 

Latest posts

Premium Sponsors

Back
Top Bottom