What is the best water for coffee ?

bobby1987

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
The mineral content and ph level of the water you use, can have drastic effects on the finished product which makes your cofee much tasty.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
other than clog up your coffee pot over time what does lime do to the taste

Lime is made up of calcium and magnesium. If you get water from a well, it might have a slightly mineral or chalky taste because it's passed through layers of limestone deep underground. Calcium makes water taste milky and smooth, magnesium can be bitter, and sodium makes it taste salty.

Here is an article that may help you.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/sc...s-water-from-different-places-taste-different

Samfox

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
If you want to hot coffee then you need to warm water and if you want to cold coffee then you have to need ice water then you will be made a perfect cup of coffee.

sandertristan

Dec 19, 2018
Visit site
If you want to hot coffee then you need to warm water and if you want to cold coffee then you have to need ice water then you will be made a perfect cup of coffee.

I have never used cold water to make coffee.. i often use instant coffee and i do not think it would taste great when cold..
does the sugar even dissolve well in this?? i have to try this ..

Largefarva

Dec 26, 2017
Spring Grove, IL
Visit site
We are on a well here and I used to just use water from the tap. GREAT tasting coffee, but unfortunately we have an iron bacteria problem here and can’t afford to have it diagnosed and fixed yet. It’ll be a couple of years before we can do that. The only issue with the iron bacteria is that it’s just a nuisance. No health risks of any sort...so we can live with it for a while longer.

I started to look into different bottled waters prior to getting my Technivorm Moccamaster for Christmas (didn’t want to muck up the internals with the iron bacteria) and came to the conclusion that bottled spring water is the ideal water, at least in my opinion. I tried purified and distilled water and the lack of minerals left coffee tasting flat and bitter. Tried spring water and it tasted just like my tap water. Doesn’t matter which brand...I’ve had several different ones and they all make excellent coffee.

Ernac

Aug 8, 2019
west viginia
Visit site
I prefer mineral water for making coffee the taste will differ for sure if you use water from tap for making coffee that may be due to hardness in water but still it is better to opt for mineral water it will be smooth to get mixed better hence giving better coffee and I don't want anyone to mess up with coffee.!:evil:

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Minerals DO have a taste, anyone who thinks that coffee isn't affected by the quality of the water used is being naive.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, pick water from 10 different sources, boil each for an hour, now blind test to see if you can tell them apart. Maybe you can tell the one with a chicken in it.
On the contrary, if I boil the water for a hour, the mineral concentration increases, now the difference is even more pronounced.

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, and this must be from God:
View attachment 10114
And he can always refill more... :coffee:
Actually, it is from God, but that is another discussion altogether.

The calcification in the boiler actually illustrates my point. This is how distillation works, more volatile compounds evaporate (or sometimes sublimates) while less volatile ones stay behind. The water molicules evaporate, while the hard elements just get more and more concentrated. This is the scientific principal that explains many chemical reactions, including why the oceans are salty.

In summation certain minerals improve the flavor of coffee, and others are detrimental to flavor. Lime (which is the mineral gumming up the boiler in the photo) is the latter, and should be minimized in coffee water to improve both the flavor of the finished product, and also to keep much of the scale off the inside of your boiler reducing maintenance.