what is the difference between coffee, espresso, latte, etc?

t 4 2

Sep 27, 2004
Australia
Visit site
with relation to the 'latte' and how to seperate the milk from the expresso i was told to put the milk and froth in a glass about 3/4 way up , then to slowly pour the expresso on the back of another spoon slowly and making sure the spoon is touching the side of the glass. I have been practicing this method for a month now and have only done it successfully 1 or 2 times . It really is an art to make the perfect latte. Can anyone else give me an easier way to do it ? I am a newbie to this and have just started in a coffee shop where i am left by myself. :p

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
It is called a layerd cappuccino...you pour your milk in first holding back the froth...then scoop the froth on top of the milk....pour from a small bell pitcher in the center of the froth..you must do this slow but steady stream...the espresso will sit on top of the milk and below the froth..take a bit of froth and cover the dime size entry(from where you poured the milk) to hide the mark of espresso...tell me if it worked for you...I had to layer all my caps at Berns Steak houses...Sideberns :cry:

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Breve?

I read earlier in this thread that a Breve was partly skimmed milk in a cappuccino. I like a cappuccino made with steamed Half and Half instead of milk, and a coffee shop told me that was called Breve. What is that called?

dsal

dsal

Jun 4, 2004
Visit site
Breve

Before, you mentioned "Brevé Any milk based Espresso drink using semi-skimmed milk." So if Breve is with half and half, then what is the former called? (just curious)

Thanks,
dsal

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
If people do not specify on what they want for milk I used whole milk...if they wanted skim they would say skinny...or 2%...not sure if there is a real "name" for it.

G

JAWA

Vhat is JAWA, is it coffee, or something else? I need to know, tell me baby girl, cuz i need to know.

CoffeeGoddess

Oct 13, 2004
Visit site
Yet another take on the MidWest coffee ideal...

Most folks here that I've talked with want a regular cup of drip coffee. Restaurant owners serve Farmer Brothers and whatever Bunn Capitol supplies is offering for the simple reason that the farmers and working class customers want "regular" coffee.

Then there are those of us who go the espresso route. I know the owner of a few drive-thru coffee places and the favorites are flavored drinks.

Personally, I love just a simple shot of espresso now and then, and drink lattes as often as I breath.

lse

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
lse

This w/end I was out of town and on a coffee tasting experiment. I decided to stick with the latte all day as not to get confused, although by 5:00 I was wired. I thought latte was simply steamed milk on top of the espresso, not foamy or frothy....???? I had one with the milk so thick it honestly looked like meringue. It was very good though. Other places were not so thick but they were still foamy. Is is possible when I ask for a latte (everywhere) they give me a Cafe' Latte, or am I wrong in my terminology. Thanks

lse

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
lse

This w/end I was out of town and on a coffee tasting experiment. I decided to stick with the latte all day as not to get confused, although by 5:00 I was wired. I thought latte was simply steamed milk on top of the espresso, not foamy or frothy....???? I had one with the milk so thick it honestly looked like meringue. It was very good though. Other places were not so thick but they were still foamy. Is is possible when I ask for a latte (everywhere) they give me a Cafe' Latte, or am I wrong in my terminology. Thanks

CoffeeGoddess

Oct 13, 2004
Visit site
Ise, my understanding is that what you described as wanting (steamed milk ON TOP of espresso) is the cappucino. A latte is a shot or two of espresso with lots of thick, steamed milk (and preferrably a shot of almond as well :wink: ) mixed in.