What is the local name of COFFEE in your country?

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
It's caffe in Italy.

Similarly, cafe, in spanish speaking countries (no need for double consonants).

Is it coffee in all of the english speaking countries?
New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Great Britain, etc.?

compheart

Feb 13, 2008
Visit site
[quote:1ae211846f=\"xiay1234\"]I am from China, so coffee is \\\"咖啡\\\"。。。[/quote:1ae211846f]

it''s pronunciation is [ka:''fei].also a chinese coffee addicter.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
hey everyone
right, in south africa we have 11 official languages, but in afrikaans (which derives from Dutch)
its called KOFFIE = COFFEE
some of the older generation gave it funny names like
BOERE TROOS = FARMERS COMFORT
SWART GAT = BLACK HOLE
regardless if you add cream or not...hope to see more!!!

Morten

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
In danish it's "Kaffe".
Usually drank very black or acompanied by a little cream or white sugar. ("Sort Kaffe" = Black Coffee, "fløde"[floede] = cream, "sukker" = Sugar).

That's about that! :D

shosh

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
germany

Hallo,
i''m from germany and here we say just Kaffee. so if you want to get your
<a href=\"http://www.qualitycoffeemaker.com\">high quality flavored coffee</a> you need to say
ich will einer hochwertig kaffee
Ciao

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Ilovecoffee said:
hello i am from malaysia as well.. i think
Alun_evans forget to mention

"kopi o" = black coffee

But not quite Coffee as the westerners know it....the preparation method is "unique" and it's often served with Condensed milk. I used to come across it more often in Singapore in the past, but nowadays when i go to Singapore, the more typical Western Coffee is served...except at the food halls.

I think last time I was at Takashimaya, they had western coffee in the food hall...in addition to the very poor quality stuff in the "Nescafe" stand! :-D

DaveC is right. Singapore has certainly chnged a lot on the last 10 years when talking coffee. International chains (Starbucks, CB, Dome and Spinelli's) compete with local equivalents such as The Coffee Conesieur serving coffee as most from America or Europe know it. However the Kopitiams- the traditional coffee houses serving Kopi-o, Kopi kosong etc still control roughly 85% of the retail coffee consumed in Singapore.

sainak

Apr 13, 2008
Thailand
Visit site
hey wait a moment!!
In italy is caffè (generic) - just espresso at the bar
In thailand sounds like Cafè
Cafè ron mean hot coffee
Cafè yen mean iced or cold coffee
sometimes at my wife shop people ask for "please one cafè capucino moka" and with a lot of embarrassment we have to ask an explanation !!
:shock: