What kind of coffee are you drinking?

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Coffee connoisseurs

I don't know how they do it! How do they find the descriptors for the flavors of coffee? (Ya know, it took me 5 minutes to even figure out how to spell connoisseur!) :roll:

Anyway, I've polished off topher's great and wonderful Cafe Beau Rivage house blend and just broken into the first round of Tanzanian Peaberry he roasted. Great stuff, with a range of flavors that roll on like small hills of sensation from the first taste to the end of the swallow! But how to describe those flavors? Hunting about the web, I find Tanzanian Peaberry descriptions mostly refering to "winey" tones. To me, though, wine is not one flavor- there are some I like, and some I don't, among the multiple varieties and vintages of wine, and I wouldn't describe wine as being one particular flavor. Whatever! I give up on the terminology of the descriptors of the fine gustatory experience of Tanzanian Peaberry, at least until I've savored more! :lol:

javagirl81

Sep 10, 2003
michigan
Visit site
Tanzanian Peaberry is the house blend at my favorite coffee shop and it's the only brew that won't upset my stomach five hours later. I love it, although I usually stick to my Americanos.

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Upset Stomach

Interesting Tanzanian Peaberry is easy on your stomach, compared to other coffees as it is often noted to be acidic and "winey." You might try Hawaiian Kona, renouned for being mellow.

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
More Mellow Coffee

I'm also drinking some Sumatra Mandheling. I find it rich but smooth, and non-acidic. Quite easy on the stomach, at least, on mine! :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
just a quick note...acidity is not a bad thing....for example..if you have a big wine....and no acidity what do you have? A mouth full of mud! Same with coffee....acidity is the bright snappines that you get from coffee..oh well not sure what I am saying...going through a caffiene crash!!
EMBRACE THE ACIDITY!! Man I need sleep :?

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Acid

I'm with you on the acid, topher!

I think it gets a bad rap 'cause people complain of "acid stomach" from bad coffee, but it's not the acidity that's bad- it's good!

Still, a difficult concept to grasp. Till I had the Tanzanian Peaberry, I thought I didn't want acidity, either.

javagirl81

Sep 10, 2003
michigan
Visit site
I'm just a coffee junkie and not as knowledgable about the specifics of each brew, but I was told it was known to be easier on the stomach. Despite the fact that I often get "coffee gut" a few hours after drinking it, I still have my coffee every morning. I have heard Italian roasts are "gentler" on the gut, but who knows. Drink on!

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Better brown....

than white?

I like some acid. Balsamic vinegar, for instance- good acid. And, after all, the stomach is normally an acid place (pH ~ 4.0, neutral =7.0)

I think people associate acidity in coffee with bitterness, but I don't think this is a correct association.

Anyway, here's some other coffee that may be easier on some stomachs:

"During the normal coffee roasting process, natural acids form which can lead to heartburn, indigestion and stomach upset. That’s bad news for the 37 million* Americans who are heavy coffee consumers, drinking five or more cups a day. In fact, 17.3 percent of the adult population** is unable to drink coffee or to consume as much of it as they’d like because of stomach irritation and other side effects. Many have labeled this problem “Coffee Gutâ€

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Kona etc.

So, I broke out the Hawaiian Kona Fancy topher had roasted and sent me at the family reunion yesterday.

Oddly, after the Tanzanian Peaberry , I was almost disappointed at how mellow it was! :? It took me a while to relax back into the Kona experience after the more exhilarating taste ride of the Peaberry, but after I'd re-adjusted, I could really enjoy the Kona again. :D

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Everything's different, again!

Ha! Just got back from dinner at a local Italian restaurant. Wasn't really hungry so I had a little antipasto misto, the zuppa di giorno (roast chicken with zuchini), and traditional Caesar Salad with some Shiraz. After walking home, I French Pressed a pot of topher's Kona, and man :!: does it taste terrific tonight :!: Much better than yesterday's batches. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I used slighty more beans with a slightly shorter brewing time; perhaps it's just the lingering effects of the Shiraz. Anyway, the Kona is great tonight! :)

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Not enough acid

topher said:
just a quick note...acidity is not a bad thing....for example..if you have a big wine....and no acidity what do you have? A mouth full of mud! Same with coffee....acidity is the bright snappines that you get from coffee..oh well not sure what I am saying...going through a caffiene crash!!
EMBRACE THE ACIDITY!! Man I need sleep :?

At work today, all I've got is some Sumatra Mandheling- very mild and low acid (not acid enough for me today!). :evil:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sumatra rocks!! It is probably one of the heaviest bodied coffees! It is very low in acidity....tintinnet..I am going to send you some Guatemalans when I get back from vacation..be back around early november..sorry I would send it earlier but I have butt loads of coffee to roast so I can leave for a week. I want you to keep an eye out for more complex coffees...think you will get into it! Me personally I like differnt coffees for different times...will go deeper into it later...need sleep...have to work an overnight tonight...we are getting 2 count em 2 new espresso machines for the shop tonight! Oh one more thing...tried the new jolt espresso today..a cola espresso drink....man....what a rush!! Taste like rum and coke though :eek:

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Different tastes for different times

Yeah- I know exactly what you mean, topher. Something going on with my taste buds today- everything tastes too mild! Made me crave something with more bite than Sumatra, but that was all I had available at work today...

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
ahh....back at work..yawn...hey tintinet...next time you're at work and you want something with more bite run to your local coffee shop and get an americano!! That will get you where you want to go! 8)