Where can I get Mt. Hagen whole beans or ground? (Not the instant).

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi All

My wife and I love coffee (and she also likes tea). During the week when we both have to work, she drinks tea and I drink Mt. Hagen instant (which is great!). When we're both home on weekend mornings, we drink Stumptown Holler Mountain in the whole beans. We both prefer whole beans we grind ourselves, but pre-ground will do.

I've looked online but was unable to find a retailer that sells Mt. Hagen in either the whole bean or ground. At least, not a local or online retailer. Best I could find was that Mt. Hagen ground does exist, but it was on a German website that was difficult to navigate, and I'm not even sure they're a retailer, they could be a distributor or wholesaler. Does anybody know of a US vendor for Mt. Hagen ground or whole bean?

Here's the website I found: Mount Hagen - Products - Wertform. (You'll have to google it, I can't post links yet). When I click on the "further information" link, it goes to a page that's in German and even with the translation, I can't seem to figure out how to order.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Where'd you get the batch you're drinking now?

How much more work is it than decaf to add coffee to a press pot, pour in the water, and let it steep? I never understand instant drinkers.

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
The Mt. Hagen we drink now is instant that we get at a local grocery store. We're looking for the ground or whole bean, which isn't available locally.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Chances are very good that you'd be sadly disappointed with the freshness of the beans or ground Mr. Hagen, and that it wouldn't be at all similar to what you've come to like about the instant version of it.

If you can tell us what it is you like about it, perhaps we can steer you toward some whole bean coffee we've come to love. I happen to know a guy... <wink>

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Chances are very good that you'd be sadly disappointed with the freshness of the beans or ground Mr. Hagen, and that it wouldn't be at all similar to what you've come to like about the instant version of it.

If you can tell us what it is you like about it, perhaps we can steer you toward some whole bean coffee we've come to love. I happen to know a guy... <wink>

Wow! That's amazing, Peter! That's exactly what I was going to write after I read through the Forum threads last night. I got distracted and never went back to it.

I guess it would be impossible to figure out what kind of roasted coffee is in the instant Mt. Hagen crystals. It would be nice to be able to zero in on a coffee region and work from there.

Rose

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site

In a nutshell, I like it because it tastes like a regular cup of Joe that's flavorful w/o tasting too strong, burnt, or bitter. I would still be willing try the ground version if I can find it. We've experimented with other coffees in the past that were a disappointment.

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I guess it would be impossible to figure out what kind of roasted coffee is in the instant Mt. Hagen crystals. It would be nice to be able to zero in on a coffee region and work from there.

Rose

One website I saw said this: "Made from 100% arabica beans, Mount Hagen organic instant coffee is shade grown at higher elevations which produces a naturally flavorful, yet mild taste."

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I also saw some different versions of it from the German website where I found the ground version. I've looked all over online, it seems to be the only place to get it, but their website is very user-unfriendly. Looks like it's going to be too much of a hassle, so I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting. I see where they acknowledge that the coffee purist may turn a nose at the instant coffee, but the concept of solubles coming from Michael Sivitz (who spent much of his career developing the extraction technology for instant coffee) doesn't exclude a product that is pleasing, albeit not the same as fresh roasted and ground. I'm tempted to order some just to know where it ranks in this Keurig world...lol!

Brinybay

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Now that I found their order page, it appears to be only shipped within Germany. Even if they did ship to the US, I imagine the shipping would be costly. Not worth the hassle or expense.