Which french press should I buy?

I love french presses, although I need to get a larger one. Earlier there was a question about cleaning a French Press and I was wondering if anyone had thought of using something in the line of Visions espresso machine cleaner (or similar product), and then running it in the dishwasher with no soap,. just the rince. I know if you put Visions in the dishwasher it makes a huge mess (saw someone do it once) but it can remove coffee buildup like a freaking laser.
Any thoughts?

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
I am loving my french press! Locing it! I have been brewing Philadelphia local Torreo coffee - Sumatra blend and it is stunning. Love it.

I just clean or scrub the parts including the filter with a Dobie pad and some dish soap - then run it under water for a while. I need to get a new french press set up however.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the correct water temp for a French Press? I usually heat the water on the stove and try to take it off just before boil. Is this correct?

Chammy

Feb 1, 2006
Desert
Visit site
Thats the same question I have. I just bought a Bodum Brazil French Spress and I was wondering, hmmm, no boiling water? SHould I have gone with the Chambored one instead? And it is a 3 cup model. It looks more like its only 1 cup max. As to how hot, isnt a coffee drip boilng water also? Or no? So many questions......

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
That is basically what I have - an 8 cup French Press and our local roasters recommend the French Press over other methods. I will say however that I had coffee at a friend's house yesterday and it was great. He used a Cuisinart drip with a built in grinder. I may have to consider that product.

With the French Press I get the water as hot as possible before boil and let the coffee steep 4-5 minutes and no longer. The best I have found so far with the French Press is Sumatra and Torreo Sumatra is the best I have had by far.

Chammy

Feb 1, 2006
Desert
Visit site
Is the metric system different in France, or to who ever makes French presses? Cuase the 3 cup Brazil French press from Bodum sure looks like a cup and a half. :?

Chammy

Feb 1, 2006
Desert
Visit site
I wissh I did on me, I need to wait for my girlfreind to come home, she has the dig camera, but, u can look on Bodum's online store and the Kenya model is identical to the Brazil model. The 3 or 4 cup one.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
I have a bon jour french press and it seems fine although I need to replace the mesh filter since it is about 8 years old. I am waiting for an order to arrive. I also see you can order a special extra filter attachment. This would cut out some of the grinds.

I was wondering how you guys grind and how long you brew?

clearchris

Jun 11, 2006
Visit site
I'm a real fan of the bounjour french press. It's one of the only presses that doesn't use plastic where it will touch the coffee. IMHO, when you put plastic in hot coffee, you end up tasting the plastic. Yuck.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
clearchris said:
I'm a real fan of the bounjour french press. It's one of the only presses that doesn't use plastic where it will touch the coffee. IMHO, when you put plastic in hot coffee, you end up tasting the plastic. Yuck.

I like it too but am waiting for a replacement mesh filter. I wonder how the new Tirra coffee pull compares?

clearchris

Jun 11, 2006
Visit site
richedie said:
I like it too but am waiting for a replacement mesh filter. I wonder how the new Tirra coffee pull compares?

It could be interesting, but I'm not sure it solves a problem I have. The Tirra's main advantage is that you can take the grinds out of the coffee when you are finished brewing. I just pour my coffee when it's finished brewing and I only make what I intend to immediately use.

Plus, it has plastic that touches the coffee. :(

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
french press woes

coffee in a french press is suppose to steep but not boil(never boil coffee). Best method is to boil the water and let it sit for a few minuites(using a thermo is just being silly) before pouring it into the chamber. The differences in the brands has more to do with their durability wrt cleaning and quality of the mesh. They are all essentially pyrex beakers with a steel mesh screen. From my experience there really little difference. They all just take some experimenting to get used to.

If you have the cash then go out and get a 50$press made of space age titanium...I'll stick with my 15$ one and just expect to replace parts of it from time to time.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Well, I picked up a Tirra Coffee Maker - like a french pull?! Anyway, it worries me that it has a rubber or some rubbery looking material around the edge against the glass. I was always under the impression you never want plastic or rubber touching the hot water or coffee due to chemical interactions and the taste it may impart.

The thing about the thermal carafe is that I also heard it a good idea to have the coffee brew at a more consistant and hotter temp such as would be possible in a thermal press or Eva Solo.
http://www.evasolo.dk/products-cafesolo.html

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
I have a Tirra...

One issue I see is it is best to allow the coffee to brew in a consistant temperature...hence the thermal carafe.

The Tirra is weird! The basket only holds enough for one of their scoops (1.4 tablespoons) per 8 ounces! That is weak and it tastes weak. I prefer 2 TBS per 6 ounces always. Also, the basket only goes about 3/4 to the bottom of the carafe so when you pour in water.......some of the water sits at the bottom never touching the water during brewing.

Latest posts