Which french press should I buy?

Jul 17, 2006
Oswego, IL
Visit site
I've used a Bodum French Press for some time now and its hands down one of my favorite ways to make coffee. Nothing beats the look on peoples faces when they see the coffee sludge swirling around. Their faces quickly change when they taste its wonders.

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
I love the french press process

This is how I like to do it.
I usually make 1-3 presses a week.

I grind it to the second rock stage. Thats the best thing I can call it. I'm sure there is a more technical name for it. Basically after it stops sounding like ther are rocks in the grinder. The Course setting doesn't alway do it justice. I like it a litle chunky. As far as a burr grinder. I've used a blade grinder (cheaper) for a while now and haven't had any problems with it. I usually keep a bit of backup so I don't have to grind every time. I prefer a rounded teaspoon to about 6 ounces (1 coffee cup) of water.

I used a bodum brazil (glass)

Than I boil the water in my metal Perk Kettle. I usually let the steam die down before I pour it into the press. Unless you have a temp gage its easier to Boil your water than let it sit for a min or so.

Than the major question. Do you stir?

Sometimes I stir at 1st, Sometime I don't stir, sometimes I let it sit for a min than stir than let it sit some more.

avergage press time 5 mins

Cleaning: usually a water wash is fine, unless you have other people using it than I'd use the dishwasher.

The great thing is that its a totally personal cup. I can tweek it till it is just right for me with the grind, or amount of coffee, or sitting time, or stirring.
etc

113334598_9aec8ef443.jpg