Why does Lime Torani curdle in steamed milk?

Because it's not: DaVinci Syrup ;)

"At DaVinci Gourmet®, flavor is what we do best. For more than a decade we have been making your coffee more flavorful, making your mochas creamier, sweetening your favorite desserts and tempting you with our gourmet confections. We never stop looking for new ways to expand your flavor experience. Our family of delectable gourmet products lets you experience how flavorful life can be."

This is the ONLY Syrup I recommended. I've always got incredible support and never been disappointed.

Torani, was created for italion soda's and DaVinci was created for coffee.

My .02

BC-Barista75

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok I work in a coffee shop, and I use Torani

Hey, new Barista in BC, in progress learning, and stumbled upon this problem.

See the milk curdles because its hot, hot milk and a cold acid will curdle, at least with the Torani, don't know why but this what I was told to do: (This scenario, making a raspberry white chocolate mocha) 1. Pour white chocolate syrup and the raspberry Torani fruit shot in cup, 2. Get espresso shot ready, 3. Steam milk (I steam to 160 F), 4. Start the espresso shot to pour in demitasse, 5. Pour espresso in cup, let sit for couple seconds, stir, this will warm up the Torani shot, and make it not curdle the milk, 6. Pour the steamed milk in, 7. Stir, 8. Whip cream or foam for customer, with white chocolate drizzle.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

myles

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Usually if you use a syrup that has any level of acidity to it, i.e. raspberry, it will curdle. The best thing to do is limit the variety of syrups and high light the coffee/espresso

BaristaHeart

May 29, 2013
Visit site
We have been having this problem with our 1883 Raspberry syrup. Usually we would put the syrup in first, then the shots to warm it up, then the milk. The other option was to steam the syrup in with the milk. Both of these works the majority of the time.

The reason I looked up this probable was from making an Ice Italian Raspberry Creamosa. We use half and half in this drink which ended up curdling the drink two times after trying to make it two separate ways.

Has anyone found their iced Raspberry (1883) drink curdling?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "BaristaHeart"

Have you had a chance to read any of the other posts in this thread? The milk curdling problem seems to happen with most brands of raspberry syrups. Whether hot or cold, the acid in the syrup will curdle the milk, unless it's diluted in some way.

Have you tried mixing the syrup with the ice first, or adding a splash of water to the syrup and ice before adding the half and half?

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Citric acid curdles milk. Monin Irish cream syrup will curdle milk due to the citric acid in it. I had a barista tell me once that if you froth the milk with syrup in the milk it will froth and no one will notice the curdling. NASTY.

ffarl

Administrator
Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have found, at least in Italian creme sodas, if you cut the citric syrup with a tiny bit of vanilla syrup, there is no curdling. However, I also know that while it is not visually appealing, it still tastes okay. Much like an Irish Car Bomb that sat too long :wink:

I wouldn't know. No Irish Carbomb has ever lasted more than 10 seconds in my presence. :decaf:

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
What curdles the milk is the acid. You may change Torani to Davinci. But if you really want to use Torani, you may add syrup to the milk and steam it at the same time. Also, you can add some basic syrup such as vanilla or hazelnut.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
coffeelovers...I have heard this before. Add syrup to milk and froth together. It still curdles but its frothed up and you can't tell...you don't find this a wee bit gross?

laceddecal

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Informative thread, thanks everyone. Real quick in reverse order of what i've read tho:

3) Topher it does sound gross because when one thinks of curdling they think of spoiled milk. Spoiled milk causes milk to curdle, but not all curdled milk is spoiled. The citric acid in the fruit syrups also cause milk to curdle, but it doesn't cause the milk to spoil.

-- By spoiling I refer to the complete breach by disgusting bacteria and the affect their collective digestion of the milk has. Very gross. In addition to smelling disgusting and likely becoming toxic to ingest, this process also curdles the milk. The curdling, while visually standing out, is not the reason why humans ought avoid consuming spoiled milk.
-- The process of curdling is simply the separation of milk fat from the liquid base its suspended in. Pre-curdled, all the little fatty particles are microscopic and suspend in a homogenized way. Believe it or not the process of homogenization is as simple as forcing the milk through screens so fine that the particles of fat being forced through are made so tiny that they suspend evenly. Curdling is the reverse of this process where it takes all those tiny fat particles and causes them to fall out of solution and clump back together. While it may be visually unappealing, theres certainly nothing unsafe about it, and in fact is near impossible to tell any taste difference.

2) I have found that mixing the syrup and milk alone first can help--however being a chemist this MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to me because those are the two ingredients causing the problem! Perhaps it is because the concentration of creme needs to be diluted for the process to happen, or there is some kind of catalyst coming from the carbonation or water solvent. Who knows. But hey, this works for some reason. Add carbonated water last!

1) The guy who said the difference between natural and artificial flavors is meaningless is correct-- it is just an attempt to latch onto the buzz wordiness "natural" has garnered lately.

--However, check out your torani bottles--they contain natural flavors! So the statement was not only wrong, but it wasn't even wrong correctly.

The masked vigilante strikes again!

Latest posts