why does soy milk curdle?

chemist

Mar 22, 2004
Visit site
Soy milk = very high protein source

As someone said about the coffee being acidic, protein as with soymilk will be affected by the acid and cause the solids of the soy milk (protein) to precipitate out (heat can also play a part in this), not really curdling , but the solids separate out.

Erin Allen

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Coffee Creamers

You all know that Silk makes a soy-based coffee creamer? It comes in a purple container. It is WONDERFUL, and doesn't curdle. When I run out of that, though, I do use SILK regular soy milk. It didn't used to curdle on me, but it has for the past four months or so. Looks like a mini nuclear explosion in my morning coffee. Hate that.

streamsofstars

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello guys

I am new to this forum, but have drinking coffee with soya milk for years. Here is my method for making coffee with soya milk so that it doesn't curdle.

I make my coffee then I let it cool down (5 minutes minimum), or I put a little cold water into it. I then pour a little soya milk into a mug and heat it in the microwave for 35 seconds.

Then I empty the coffee into a third mug, just to let it cool some more then I add the soya milk to that.

It means you use three mugs, but it is a successful method,yay!

I have also found that oat milk tastes far superior and never curdles, but unfortunately it is about twice the price of soya milk.

coffeemannw

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I drink my coffee black, but I do know that it is a low pH that usually causes curdling. I'm most familiar with syrups doing this. Manufacturers need a certain level of pH in order to kill off any nasty bugs in the product. My first thought was to heat up the soy a bit. You could also try almond milk, my personal favorite for cereal and never curdles when my wife uses it to make an espresso based beverage.

Tinker

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem and tried several corrective methods. I got refrigerated Silk soy milk and it seemed more stable. Then I tried different brands of packaged shelf soy milk again, and began to experiment with the milk. I have determined for my use that by heating the milk in the cup for maybe 20 seconds (but not to boiling/sputtering) and then pouring on the hot coffee from the freshly brewed pot there was no separation and curdling. Since I don't drink coffee sweetened I have not tried using a sweet or flavored soy milk. A friend has suggested a chocolate soy milk to add to coffee to achieve a type of mocha taste. I'm continuing my experiments and coffee embellishments.