Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "bcotten"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. I'm very glad you found us.

I'm especially glad to read that you enjoy Ethopian Harrar coffee. I've found it to be a very enjoyable coffee. Unfortunately, I have to go out of my way to get it,(or buy it on-line) because my local roaster prefers to offer Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. He thinks it's a better coffee (more popular), but I have a feeling it's because the Harrar beans are a little tricky to roast.

I also enjoy Papua New Guinea, which is somewhat similar to Jamacian Blue Mountain, but it's much less expensive.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rose: Is the local guy's yergacheffe a natural or washed? The reason I ask is that there is little comparison between a natural harrar and washed yerg, imo. The naturals are much more fruity/winey, the washed yerg more bright and floral. There are different enough that a roaster should be able to justify carrying both. The naturals don't roast up very evenly, but I don't view that as a problem. My guess is that characteristic is partly responsible for their unique and wonderful flavor profile in the cup.

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey, Brian.

We are up and running. I'm selling a few retail pounds to customers coming in the door, a a few to the on-line food coop and a bit to wholesale customers as well. matter of fact, a local upscale store called Gateway Market just committed to carrying our coffees today.

Next week I have appointments with a few local cafes interested in pouring our coffees. One claims to go through 100 lbs./week. The other two have an organic bent and wish to carry certified organic coffees.

How you bean?

scott

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Scott;
Glad to hear things are going well for you. The only question I have is how do you ensure that the cafe's brew the coffee properly? Have you thought about your company name being on the bags or are you going to private label them? This is something that I have been wrestling with. If they don't brew properly for freshness, Grind just before brewing, poor service etc would you refuse them?

What do other roasters do? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Brian

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I bought some Blue Mountain beans yesterday from a local shop, they told me it's not mixed. Tried to make a few coffee and cappuccino, while it doesn't have a very strong smell to it, it has some special taste to it and even after the coffee, can still feel it in the mouth. It's hard to explain but I like that!

For Cappuccino I can't grind the beans to the finest settings, otherwise I get no coffee out the drip. However, it seems like no matter what I do, I couldn't taste the bitterness from the beans which is great. I also don't need any suger in the coffee and I can probably skip the milk too in coffee.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I don't know how much you paid for the Blue Mountain Coffee but I am sure you paid pretty money for them if it is not blend....

If you are after coffee without Bitterness and less tanning(sour taste) I am sure you can get that from local roasters. It doesn't have to be blue mountain.... Blue Mountain coffee is very expensive for their distinctive taste. Some people will pay extra for that experience and also the name sake. I have tried Blue Mountain Coffee and Kopi Luwok coffee but I just wasn't impressed with them... Great coffee I thought but was it worth the money I paid? That is what I wasn't sure about.....

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
It was $40 CAD for 12oz bag, I think I'm getting really close for a cappuccino I like.

I never liked espresso, but with these BM beans, espresso is just something else. What I found I need to make espresso first manually through the machine, then do the milk and foam combination myself. Comes out so great, ready for a refill now!

The cappuccino button from the machine, the espresso portion is not strong enough and I have to control the frothing process to keep the milk hot. Kinda defeat the purpose of buying a one touch cappuccino machine, but I'm glad I am making good progress.

I found this bag of BM beans, it needs to be strong, and stronger the better. Doesn't smell much but the after taste is good especially in an espresso. I tried making a coffee and I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'll try different bags for sure, can't really keep getting BM beans, too much!

I gave a cup to my mom tonight and I could see a smile on he face too.

Traumahawk

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Are there Blue Mountain distributors in the US? (Pure or Blend?) What makes this coffee so sought after? I have to admit, I have found no coffee like it. It is "special", and I hear it is because of the elevation that it is grown. I would love to find something that is compareable.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I enjoy Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, but it has become too expensive for regular use. A couple of the active (experienced and knowledgeable) members of this Coffee Forum suggested that I try Papua New Guinea coffee, because it is similar and obviously less expensive. I tried it and I'm hooked! I buy the medium roast at my local roaster, and it's only $10.99 a pound.

If you do a Google search for Papua New Guinea coffee, you will find descriptions about how it's similar to Jamacian Blue Mountain.

It may be worth a try. . .

Rose