Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I ordered som Papua NG from Sweet Marias last week and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I also ordered some Ethiopian washed. I am going to compare them with the Panama and Guatemala that I have on hand at home now. I just wish I had a more consistent roasting platform. I am currently working on a burner with a pot/crank. It is so variable that I have a hard time creating comparable roasts to taste.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Bardo,

When I buy the roasted Papua New Guinea coffee, I get a medium roast. The place where I buy it also roasts it as a dark roast, and there is a huge difference in taste. I didn't like the dark roast at all - I made one pot of coffee, and then I gave the rest of the beans away.

You may want to start out with a medium roast and go from there.

Rose

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
i am still waiting for my order of these beans. will definitely advise you once i received it :)

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is grown at the highest mountain peak in Jamaica. Its taste is different than that coffee grown at lower elevation since it grows in colder temperature. The sweetness of this coffee is unusual with intense bold aroma. You can easily distinguish its taste from other coffee sources. It has fantastic flavor!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "CoffeeTown Depot"

I always appreciate it when people buy me "good" coffee as a gift. It's much nicer than slippers or a sweater!

Since the months seem to be flying by, Christmas will be here soon, and then you'll again be enjoying some Jamacian Blue Mountain coffee.

By the way, welcome to the Coffee Forums!

Rose

Elly

Jul 12, 2013
Ireland
Visit site
Undoubtedly, it is one of the best I've tried. A real treat. For everyday use though, I use the Columbian coffee. It's a whole lot less expensive!

satman40

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Blue High Mountains, and yet many plants are grown in the lower Mountains of JA, and many a rejected beans are thrown in the mix, Mavis is the big name down there. About $27 for 12 oz. Blends are always cheaper and the price quoted was in JA, not in the US...

Thanks for the Costco , link.

I have been paying $55 for the blend, at AM Coffee mail order. 5 pounds

Did a lot of work in JA, was there once a week for a log time..brought a lot of beans back,,

tomcadycoffeeville

Feb 3, 2014
Wayzata, MN
Visit site
JBM is a very balanced coffee. I would be careful of all the coffees labeled as Blue Mountain. The best comes from the Wallenford Estate, the coffee is meticulously sorted. But Jamaica is also a smugglers haven so unless you deal with people you can trust beware. I have had people come to me with coffee they claimed was Blue Mountain, it was unwashed, with broken beans and flaws. 15 or so years ago the largest grower and distributor of Kona coffee went to prison for selling Costa Rican coffee as Kona. Now if the US can't control its boarders what makes you think that Jamaica can. It would be so easy for someone to ship a container of very good coffee from central america to Jamaica call it Blue Mountain and triple the price on it. So unless you're absolutely sure of producer be careful.

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
From a roasters point of view, I like JBM but can't justify the cost for the beans. As Rose said the Papua New Guinea is a very good bean, I really like the natural Ethiopian Sidamos and Sumatra Wahana. If you haven't tried these two coffees you should give them a try. I also like the high grade Ethiopian Harrar, the problem is the really good stuff sells out pretty quickly so I have to stock up when it's available. If you want to try a really nice cup give the Sumatra Wahana a shot.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
It's what I would call a "gimmick" coffee. You pay for the name (where it's from) and not for the quality of the coffee. The real thing is a smooth, medium quality, very average, but extremely approachable coffee.

It's "ok". For a great coffee introduction, there are higher grade coffees from Oaxaca and Chiapas for a fourth of the cost.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
It's what I would call a "gimmick" coffee. You pay for the name (where it's from) and not for the quality of the coffee. The real thing is a smooth, medium quality, very average, but extremely approachable coffee.

It's "ok". For a great coffee introduction, there are higher grade coffees from Oaxaca and Chiapas for a fourth of the cost.

On my label for Oaxaca, I call it the "the poor man's Kona, or rather, the smart man's Kona". Kind of the same idea.

At least the gimmick coffee from Jamaica doesn't pass through the digestive system of some stray dog there. :)

jennifer22

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The coffee from the Blue Mountains of Jamaica is known for it's superior taste, medium body, intense flavor, low acidity & low caffeine.
So its also good for health as well. I love drinking Jamaica coffee:smile:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The coffee from the Blue Mountains of Jamaica is known for it's superior taste, medium body, intense flavor, low acidity & low caffeine.
So its also good for health as well. I love drinking Jamaica coffee:smile:

But... if another coffee has equal or better taste, medium body, intense flavor, low acidity (the lower caffeine level is bunk) at a 1/4 of the cost, which would you choose?

satman40

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
But... if another coffee has equal or better taste, medium body, intense flavor, low acidity (the lower caffeine level is bunk) at a 1/4 of the cost, which would you choose?

If you can not tell the difference, I would not pay the difference.

I can tell the difference between high BM, and low BM coffee

Much is in the water, and a lot is in our head.:-D