A cup of black coffee with foam. Dutch style?


New member
Dec 14, 2010
Hi, I am new to this forum, and a total noob when it comes to coffee theory. But I do love a good cup of black coffee! Can someone please explain the following to me (I will be talking about black coffee throughout the post):
In Norway we mostly drink filter coffee, although espresso is availiable in coffee shops. When I visisted Holland, I noticed that when I ordered a cup of coffee, the coffee I got was stronger and richer, and it had foam on top of it, like espresso. I really liked this coffee much more than the filter coffee I am used to. And I also like it better than espresso, since the quantity is larger and it is not that strong, so I can enjoy sipping it for fifteen minutes. What is this kind of coffee drink called? How is it made?


Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
I would assume they are using a french press or "cafetiere" The coffee comes out more rich...The coffee does have a bit of oiliness and is very bold. It might not just be the preparation but the coffee that shop was using...


New member
Dec 14, 2010
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #4
Caffè Americano (Was:Re:A cup of black coffee with foam. Dut

Thanks for your replies. I was wondering, could it have been a Caffè Americano? I see from this page http://www.flickr.com/photos/29934265@N00/296643435 a Caffè Americano with a nice layer of foam (crema). Is this kind of coffee popular in Holland/Mid-Europe? Would a modern commercial coffee machine be able to make Caffè Americano directly (i.e. without having to manually add the extra water)? And how does a Caffè Americano taste compared to drip coffee?


Active member
Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
A typical Americano would taste a bit more rich than your average drip coffee. Have heard of some people extracting a really long shot of espresso, say in the range of 6-8 oz. and if a coarser grind is used it should be quite drinkable. Later!


New member
Jul 16, 2004
Hartford and New Haven, CT
I think what you had was as shadow745 mentioned a really long extraction from an espresso machine, it is called caffè crema in Switzerland and Northern Italy. In French speaking Canada, it is known as a allongé. You cannot make it on a filter coffee machine.


New member
Apr 4, 2011
So many coffee from Indonesia were sent to outside countries to the needs of coffee in many European countries, because the quality of coffee is extremely secure from the past.


New member
Apr 5, 2011
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Hi There! I'm Dutch :D
I really don't think it was from a French press. My Dutch friends are always blown away when I show them my french press. They never seen it!
When you order coffee in Holland, it's most likely from a (Italian) espresso machine.
So, I think ElPugDiablo was right :)

At home people drink filter coffee. And yes, sometimes that is black filter coffee with foam on top. I made hundreds of those cups for my dad as a child:)


New member
Apr 6, 2011
Rex Royal

Likely a random experience at a coffee joint that had a
Swiss style fully automatic machine called a Rex Royal or similar...

Latest posts