Best Drip Coffee Maker

MrGrimm999

Sep 3, 2020
NJ USA
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been becoming very frustrated trying to decide on which premium drip coffee maker to replace my Mr Coffee with. Reading all the reviews on amazon and google, it seems like every popular machine either doesn't last long enough, are made with cheap parts, produces a funny taste, leaks, or doesn't keep the coffee hot enough. I figured I would give it a shot in the forums. I've been purchasing coffee beans from Atlas Coffee and Lifeboost. I've been using a blade grinder but been thinking about getting a conical burr. I drink 2 20oz cups a day but will brew a full pot when i have company over. I've been spending all this money on coffee beans so naturally I would like to get the best flavor out of them.

Here's my top contenders:

Technivorm Moccamaster
Bonavita (either Connoisseur or 1900)
OXO 9 Cup Brew
Breville Precision

I'm having a hard time spending over 300 for a coffee maker but if its worth it...

Thanks alot guys!! I look forward to your opinions!! I'll value your positive or negative feedback just the same. I'm sure there are other posts like this in the past but I wanted to start a new one :)

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Here's an idea. Forget about the conventional drip coffee makers and get yourself a pour over. Lots of people rave about the Chemex. I kind of like the Bodum 34 oz. version. You can use the paper filters or the metal reuseable ones. I think you'll never have to worry about funny tastes, leaks, cheap parts or how long it lasts. And best of all you'll spend $20 and still have $280 to spend on other things. Sure, you have to buy a gooseneck kettle as well, which might cost about $50 for a decent stove top model, leaving you $230 to play with. That is certainly enough to get yourself a nice burr grinder, which is probably the most important thing you can buy for brewing coffee at home. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

davidscheff

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
Hey! I own a Capresso Triple brew. It costs $278. It was a great buy I made last Christmas. I have been regularly making coffee myself, and I don’t have to push multiple buttons and get all confused with the working procedure. It’s user friendly. Since you have $300 in your pocket, this will be worth buying. You also make sure you make a deal with an authorized espresso coffee maker dealer, so there is a guarantee in after-sale services.

MrGrimm999

Sep 3, 2020
NJ USA
Visit site
Here's an idea. Forget about the conventional drip coffee makers and get yourself a pour over. Lots of people rave about the Chemex. I kind of like the Bodum 34 oz. version. You can use the paper filters or the metal reuseable ones. I think you'll never have to worry about funny tastes, leaks, cheap parts or how long it lasts. And best of all you'll spend $20 and still have $280 to spend on other things. Sure, you have to buy a gooseneck kettle as well, which might cost about $50 for a decent stove top model, leaving you $230 to play with. That is certainly enough to get yourself a nice burr grinder, which is probably the most important thing you can buy for brewing coffee at home. Just my two cents.

You know, I’ve heard Chemex mentioned a few times but never looked into it. I just read about it for the first time and definitely sounds like what I’m looking for. Only hitch is I will have to decide if I still want a machine for ease of use in the mornings. But this will def now be one of my contenders! Thanks!!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The key to any good brewer is rock-solid temperature stability. When you to the level your looking at most handle that very well. I would also highly recommend a model that has a thermal pot vs. glass - it eliminates your coffee from getting cold and you don't need a burner/heating element that will make your coffee bitter.

Comparing the models listed - I would go with a Bonavita or Moccamaster. The Moccamaster is hands down considered the best of the coffee brewers - they also have the price tag to match. I think followed by the Moccamaster is the Bonavita which IMO offers consumers the best value. OXO has just recently upped their game into specialty grade quality so not a lot of track record. I hear a lot of hits/misses in regards to quality but have no personal experience. The Breville IMO is overpriced... the ability to use a 3rd party pour-over brewer is nice, but at $300 I would take a Bonavita or Moccamaster. They tend to push the precision pour which I find a bit unnecessary - you won't find day to day you would ever adjust temp, and really I don't think water flow rate is critical. The bigger impact on flow and proper brew time is grind size, not water flow.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
One note about Bonavita - I would suggest looking at the 'older' version of that brewer. There is one key difference - in the 1900TS model the brew basket sits on top of the carafe. On the Conossouri it's integrated into the house and 'hangs' like a traditional drip brewer. HOWEVER, that eliminates the ability to use manual brewers. I currently own a 1900TS and use it most days, in the morning i brew in the thermal carafe. In the afternoon when I only want a cup or two and want a richer coffee (or using some special coffee)... I use the same 1900TS but instead of using the stock thermal carafe I use my Chemex.

IMG_2040.JPG

Denrael

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

Technivorm Moccamaster
OXO 9 Cup Brew
Breville Precision

I used to have a Bonavita (old model where the basket sat atop the thermal pot) before it died after a couple of years of solid use. I actually alternated between the thermal pot and slipping a Chemex under the sprayed which worked amazingly well. I've since changed to a MM, mainly because I like the repairability and user serviceable parts. From a temperature perspective you can't go wrong with either of those machines. Plus I have to admit the retro look of the MM looks awesome in my kitchen.

Ramiel

Jan 22, 2021
Melbourne
Visit site
A few months ago, I had the pleasure of having a cup of coffee made with an excellent high-end coffee maker. Using the same coffee, the taste was noticeably better than what I had become used to each morning. I decided then that I wanted to experience coffee on a new level instead of just as a way to help wake myself up in the morning. I began a search and arrived at the Bonavita 1901TS. Very compact and easy to use, which makes it one of the best coffee maker for dorm. My roommates also like the coffee made with this coffee maker.

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have had my Chemex since June and I absolutely love it. I have not drank coffee at home since I owned a Technivorm Moccamaster. Sadly I brought it to work and someone stole it. My wife bought me the chemex ottomatic and I am now drinking coffee at home again. It is pricey but worth every penny.

Attachments

• chemex.jpg
    chemex.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 91

coffeeswings

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Hey There, acural
Hey guys,

I've been becoming very frustrated trying to decide on which premium drip coffee maker to replace my Mr Coffee with. Reading all the reviews on amazon and google, it seems like every popular machine either doesn't last long enough, are made with cheap parts, produces a funny taste, leaks, or doesn't keep the coffee hot enough. I figured I would give it a shot in the forums. I've been purchasing coffee beans from Atlas Coffee and Lifeboost. I've been using a blade grinder but been thinking about getting a conical burr. I drink 2 20oz cups a day but will brew a full pot when i have company over. I've been spending all this money on coffee beans so naturally I would like to get the best flavor out of them.

Here's my top contenders:

Technivorm Moccamaster
OXO 9 Cup Brew
Breville Precision

I'm having a hard time spending over 300 for a coffee maker but if its worth it...

Thanks alot guys!! I look forward to your opinions!! I'll value your positive or negative feedback just the same. I'm sure there are other posts like this in the past but I wanted to start a new one :)
Hey grim, actually lots of people always get confused with one they should buy. You need to understand what kind of feature you actually want and need. Check the coffee maker features. You can also check best coffee maker article and find others to take a proper decision. It totally depends on your situation and needs. Hope you got it what I mean

xisula

Jun 8, 2022
toronto
Visit site
Hot coffee is almost irreplaceable—especially during winter—and I liked that the Breville BDC650BSS coffeemaker brews at 200° F as advised by specialty coffee bodies. Its controls are less intuitive, I think need to improve here. Otherwise, it has the option of adjusting the grind size for the best flavor.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I would say if you are going to get a drip machine, no need to get an expensive one. Spend the money on the grinder, not on the drip machine.

You can make seriously great coffee in any halfway decent drip machine if you:

1- get a burr grinder
2- get a digital kitchen scale (usually pretty inexpensive)
3- ignore the numbers on the coffee machine, they do not measure anything accurately.

So I have a 12 cup drip machine. I fill it with 36 fl oz of coffee. (Machine gauge will indicate something like 6 to 7 cups. You can ignore this.) I grind up 60 g of coffee - ground fine but not too fine.

The coffee is fantastic. The secret is the ability to measure and get that ratio of water to coffee right, and to get a burr grinder for a consistent grain size.

Ratio I like is 10 g of coffee for every 6 fl oz of water. Easy for me to remember and always works great. YMMV.

Spend the bucks on the grinder. Not on the drip machine.

Pour over is best IMO, but the drip machine, used as described, can be just as good.

Brennen Thomas

Jun 24, 2022
usa
Visit site
Last month I bought a coffee maker for my hobby camping, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find one I like. I finally settled on InstaBrew, it's great for making coffee quickly and easily. With the push of a button, you can brew up to 14 ounces of coffee perfectly, every time. What I also like is that it doesn't take up space, is easy to carry, and is pretty easy to clean.

Last edited:

xisula

Jun 8, 2022
toronto
Visit site
Last month I bought a coffee maker for my hobby camping, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find one I like. I finally settled on InstaBrew, it's great for making coffee quickly and easily. With the push of a button, you can brew up to 14 ounces of coffee perfectly, every time. I also like that it doesn't take up space, is easy to carry, and is pretty easy to clean.
I also like your coffee maker—best wishes for your future coffee making.