Building a Mobile Food (Lunch Wagon) coffee cart

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I made up a lot of things as I went along. Some items got worked out through trial and error. Still have a plumbing issue to fix this weekend, will post about it later.

Pretty much every type of espresso machine will work. Just depends on volume, budget, goals, and needs. I wish I would have explored deep cycle marine batteries or propane fired machines (though the latter seems more difficult to find in the states).

Do you have your camper already? First thing that comes to mind with a pop up is, where will you store everything while driving? Are you going to pile everything on the floor then move everything after parked? That is one thing I've worked on getting dialed in. Move as few things as possible. Roll up, warm up, and serve.

Only been 7 days though so take what I say with a grain or 2

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
hey i wish i had some answers for you, but i am just in the beginning stages, I want to convert a popup camper into a coffee cart and im really lost trying to find details of how to build it, what exactly i need in regards to plumbing and what kind of espresso machine will work.
Did you ever end up finding answers to your question? if so, where?

Espresso machine selection does indeed depend on all the things Shave mentioned. For being mobile also consider things like drip tray depth as some are deeper than others and more forgiving when not parked perfectly level. Same goes with sink drains, icemaker selection, etc. Power consumption is a big consideration, but do know that 110volt machines aren't gonna recover as quickly as 220v units. Just the nature of the beast. Know a guy that was running a 2 grp lever machine that could be fired with propane or electricity and when running on a 110v connection powered by batteries/inverter he had serious downtime. After doing 2-3 hot drinks he had to wait up to 5 mins for boiler recovery. Not something you want to do when you have 15-20 people waiting in line...

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
1 fabrication = > 50% cost of truck
So those have been falling along should be aware that the generator was stuck in the truck. Well say good bye to the old doors because generator needs to come out.

IMG557.jpg

Before install
IMG543.jpg

Had to remove muffler to move generator around
IMG549.jpg

The almost finished product
IMG558.jpg

Sealed up the open support pieces and also added the door holders back.

More work being done $oon

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Finished doors
IMG568.jpg

Where did my generator go???
IMG567.jpg

Few, there it is getting worked on
IMG565.jpg

Today was a very fun day, 2nd highest in sales so far. Ice coffee sold out and launched a new drink, ice chais, crazy popular. Have a great Wednesday everyone

DocHaley

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you need more water you can look into a bladder tank and mount it on the roof of your van. They come in many different capacities.
You can attach it to the metal roof with all thread and wing nuts to keep it secured and just fill it with a hose. This water can be used for your cleaning and hand washing and leave your more precious filtered water for your ice and coffee.
Cya
Doc

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Doc I appreciate our comment and suggestion. Currently I can hold about 70 gallons of fresh water and that is way more then I need.

Truck is scheduled to get painted this weekend. Cross your fingers folks

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Before
l.jpg

After
321964_2123135889258_1571672469_31628341_849810224_o.jpg

Will be branded soon. It got a lot of compliments today, people thought it was a brand new truck.

I am very happy with the way it turned out

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
A while ago I bought some shelving for the truck but never made time to put it in. Last night around midnight I thought I might as well put it in and start finding homes for everything.

I didn't take a true before picture
I would stack straws and bowls on top of the bridge behind the bungee cord.
IMAG0069.jpg

Pretty simple install
IMAG0070.jpg

Finished product - tripled amount of storage space and allowed for better organization
IMAG0071.jpg

Rail system is Freedomrail. It is a little more expensive then other shelving out there. I like it because of the way it secures to the wall, customization, and build quality. I have the same stuff at home and have been very happy with it.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Very smart idea. Do you have a website up with more information? Would love to learn more.
Thanks

I had a website for the buildout stuff but that information is down now. Working on a new site to put everything together, there isn't any info on it yet.

If you have any questions feel free to post

S

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Next step: Branding
Cost: $418
Required matereials: painters tape, ruler, spray bottle with water, spray bottle with rubbing alcohol, rag, paper towels, and credit card

Starting point
IMAG0135.jpg

Tape vinyl graphic where it will be positioned
IMAG0136.jpg

Lining up the other side (splitting the center bump on hood)
IMAG0137.jpg

Finished hood
IMAG0138.jpg

Back
IMAG0140.jpg

Back finished
IMAG0142.jpg

Wish I would kept it tighter on the door crack. From a distance it looks kind of off

Side
IMAG0146.jpg

This is 10ft long and has a lot of blemishes. I should have spaced it more centered on the truck

More to come

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Generator drama

Original generator has been fixed under the warranty and is ready for pick up.

In the mean time I purchased a Honda 6500 EU. This unit I have rented around 6 times and have been very happy with performance, sound, fuel efficiency, and reliability. I'm not sure if I'm going to mount it on the front bumper or just leave it in the generator compartment. As it stands now, I will have to find someone to help me unload this 270? lb. beast every day.

The actual unit I purchased has only 3 hours on it (I actually put those hours on it) and I got a used price because of this :D
I will post pics soon.

Current power is Honda 2000i EU and 6500 EU, not quite enough to run everything but super quiet